Student dress in Madrid in July

May 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Student dress in Madrid in July

Since I got so much great info on this topic...I must ask the dreaded question " What to wear as a student in Madrid in July". My daughter will be there for a month and packing (or over packing) is an issue for her.
Any suggestions?
May 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM

What to wear as a student in Madrid in July

Not much. It will be very hot, and you don't want to sweat too much until you get back home from la marcha at 5 a.m.

But, seriously: I think only a 20-25yo Madrileña would be a decent style guide. But maybe there is one around here.. one never knows.
If not, send her shopping at one of the million Zara outlets in Madrid. She can't go totally wrong with the stuff they have there (and it's not even expensive).
May 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
car

It will be hot and warm in the city itself. So light clothes.But not beach type.
She will probably go to sites around Madrid in the mountain area.
Segovia, Avila, El Escorial.
This places are 6 to 10 C cooler than Madrid specialy at night so she will need a pullover or jacket.
When you are in the city at 36C and move out of town to Segovia , even if the local temp is 27C your body has a much cooler feeling.
Madrid in July is dry hot. So not so uncomfortable.
May 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM

Cowboy gave you very good advice. Shopping in Zara is great.

Young women will be wearing spaghetti strap tops and skirts. Tell her to leave her jeans home.
May 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM

Hi hcjax,

Tell her not to overpack, because July is sales time and she will get plenty of things.

Zara is a bit more dressed up than what you would be wearing to the Uni, so I would tell her to head towards Stradivarius or Bershka ( both part of the Inditex group, as Zara, but geared towards a younger crowd).
http://www.bershka.es/
http://www.e-stradivarius.com/

This year there are a lot of hippy dresses around, and that will be quite nice for the heat.

Another chain that she should check is Mango, more in the Zara line but you can always find decent basics.

Blanco could be a place to check, very cheap, but I dont like the quality of the things there.

I like the Fuencarral, Hortaleza and Chueca area for shopping. The Mercado de Fuencarral is there, and there are plenty of different shops where she can have a great time.
http://www.mdf.es/
Some shops in the area, "Divina Providencia", "H.A.N.D", "Misako" (for cheap and cheerful handbags).

Shoes. Important. There are many cute and colourful ballet flats around, and they are better than running shoes. If the crowd she hangs around are kind of dressy, she might want to have a pair of heels, but I think that she could get away with ballet flats and sandals.

Going out at night. It really depends on the places you go. If your friends are more of a Salamanca crowd (posh district), you will want to dress up a bit more, but if you hang out in Malasaña or Argüelles, she can wear jeans and cute t-shirts. Jeans are still in use, even in summer and even in the office

This url from Vogue Spain has some pics that would help you to check what people are wearing.
http://tinyurl.com/6fx79j
http://chictoochic.blogspot.com/

Bye, Cova

And chictoochic gets pics mostly from Sevilla, but they can also be interesting.
May 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM

Do NOT tell her to leave her denim home..there will be PLENTY being worn, heat or not.

tell her to leave her BAGGY denim home..yes.
May 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Great links Cova! Gracias.
May 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM

One thing I noticed is how unfussy yet classy the girls in the photos look.

Hair, accesories soomehow they all work without going overboard.

ams
May 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Summer dresses, summer skirts.
May 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM

My spanish exchange student (from Madrid) did not own any shorts and very few dresses/skirts. She wears jeans and tanks with converse everyday. She is 17 and will begin University in the fall. If you want to email me, I can give you a little more information.

Tina
May 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM

My email address is [email protected].

Tina
May 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM

tmodav-- I am sure your Spanish exchange student asked/checked online dress codes for students his/her age, hence the jeans-tanks-sneakers style.

I liked Zara's coats and clothes syles. They are young and stylish and she will blend in with class.
May 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Hi Amsdon,

I love the chictoochic blog. I found him from "El diablo se viste de Zara", and now every morning I must check it to see if there is something new.

Bye, Cova
May 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM

Viajero,

No, I went to visit her and she still wore the same thing in Madrid. We would go shoe shopping and I would try to talk her into some cute shoes and she would go straight for the converse to see if they had made a different color that she does not own. She had to leave some things when she left but she had all of her Levi's and converse in the suitcase...the blanket I made her for Christmas, I had to take it to her when I visited.

Tina
May 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM

HI Cova yes I will check that too.
Thanks. DH (aka Senor Don) & I are too old and chubby to look chic but we try our best and enjoy these things. Senor Don also say he likes me to look "sassy". That is the look I see in those photo - classy but sassy.