Stuck on Brittany,Normandy itinerary

Mar 1st, 2002, 12:11 PM
Paul

Stuck on Brittany,Normandy itinerary

Help all you Brittany,Normandy experts & others.
I'm now stuck in my plans for a mid Oct. 12-14 day trip to that area.We're 65-70,we don't like to push on the driving distances each day or crowd in to many sites. In fact we sometimes like to rest in the afternoon (sometimes) & couldn't possibly keep the pace of some of the itineraries that I've seen on this board.
We like history,museums,art,quaint market days etc. Since this will be in the cooler weather-mid October, we aren't necessarily looking for good beach areas(Honfleur/D/T).So we've opted not to stay in the Honfluer area-sorry Kavy-& will maybe do a day there from our base in Bayeux. As to the number of days, we are flexable up to about 12-14.We will end the trip with 4 extra days in Paris. Since we've been to Paris a few times before,we'll now opt to stay with family just south of the city.
So far our trip looks like this-
Day 1- early AM arrival CDG,pick up car,drive
to & overnight in Giverny
Day 2- Rouen - overnight
Day 3- Stop to see Jumieges on way to Bayeux
for 4-5 nights.
Day 4- visit Honfleur area- with Deauville &
Trouville?
Day 5-Caen museum,Liseux, & Bayeux Tapestry
Day 6- WWII sites
Day 7- St Malo-4 nights
Day 8- Mt.St Michel in late afternoon
Day 9- Dinon, Dinard
Day 10-other towns?
Day 11- Now this is where we are stuck. We'd like to stay in one more place in Brittany for about 2-3 nights. Quimper-is that too far or perhaps the Crozan area. Any ideas here. Are both of these areas interesting, art history etc? We do like sea coasts etc. but I'm leary of the weather. Any ideas here? I'm not intersted to go to Carnac etc.
Also , we will need a night on the road back to south of Paris for the end.
Other questions- How does this all look so far? Should we skip the second Brittany stop & spend an extra night in Rouen, Bayeux & St.Malo? If not where to go for the second stop in Brittany? Any ideas of a nice ,small town?village on the way back to Paris?
Well, enough for now. Can't wait to hear from you all. Many thanks!

Mar 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
Richard

Paul, My wife (55) and I (64) did this tour 2 years ago on bikes, from St. Malo to Honfleur. I think you have too many days in Bayeux and St. Malo and not enough in Mont St. Michel. Having said that, be sure to see the museum in Arromanches and get the earphones for the Bayeux tapestry visit.

Mar 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Paul

Richard: I'm confussed. What do you mean by not enough days in Mount St.Michel? From what I've heard, it's a few hour place or just one night arriving after the crowd leaves. Thanks for you reply.

Mar 1st, 2002, 01:58 PM
Maren

I have a suggestion for an area to visit in Brittany.We went to Trebeurden and stayed at Ti Al-Lannec, a wonderful hotel recommended by Karen Brown. It's on a point of land west of Saint Malo. We were there in early November and loved being near the water. The fax no: 96 23 62 14 (from 1992...).

We also stayed overnight at Mont St. Michel and it was one of the highpoints of our trip to be there after the crowds were gone.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:24 AM
Sheila

IT's about 4 hours drive from St Malo down to Qimper. There is lovely stuff along the north coast as suggested by Maren, but the really Breton stuf is west of Crozon. Personally I found it stunningly beautiful, and I really like the obviousness of the Breton culture.

The only issue for you, really, is the drive.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
Paul

Sheila,
Do you mean 'east' of Crozan? I'm looking at my map & it looks like Crozan is just about on the coast. Unless you are talking about the coast views-Pointe Dinan etc. Seems like to go from St Malo to Crozan is to go through some mountain area. Am I correct? And isn't this area closer than Quimpar where I originaly thought of heading for. What are the towns near Crozan that you like?

Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:45 AM
ttt

ttt

Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:14 AM
Sheila

Sorry, slip of the brain. I meant west of Qimper, not Crozon.

All the little fishing villages round the south side of the peninsula were lovely and I'd go back in a heartbeat (actually, we ARE going back in the summer)

Mounatin is a bit of an exaggeration. There is a high plateau, with some moor on it in the middle of Brittany and you get great views from up there- but it ain't a mountain

I did a trip report last summer and it's on here somewhere, but if that's a real email address, I'll send it to you when I get home tonight.

Mar 4th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Paul

Sheila,
Thanks for the correction. You really had me going there for awhile. I think we actually will stay in Quimper & take the train back to Paris.
Any ideas for a B&B in Quimper or other hints. Did you get to Pont-Avon? We'll only have 3 days in Quimper & probably won't get there untill the afternnon as we're coming from St. Malo. I tried to look for your report. Still looking. Thanks.

Mar 4th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Sheila

We didn't make it to Pont-Aven, but would have liked to. I also really liked Concarneau. I forgot to send the trip report. I WILL send it later

Mar 5th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Paul

Any more commetns on this whole itinerary? What about seeing MSM? Would this be possible to visit on our way from Bayeux to St. Malo? I would think that there would not be many crowds at that time of year.

Mar 5th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Elsa

Sheila: Would you mind posting (or e-mailing) your trip report as I was also looking for it, but so far have had no luck.

Thanks

Mar 5th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Ken

Hi Paul: I'm with Richard on Mont St Michel. I did much the same trip last October - which is a great time to visit, by the way - and Mont St Michel was probably the highlight. I stayed at the Manoir de Roche Turin just across the Marsh from the Mont, and it was really pleasant and quite a bargain. That said, I'd probably stay right on the Mont, so you can wander in the evening or morning. It's one of the most spectacular places I've ever been, and I've travelled a lot. So there's my two cents. The rest sounds grand, and, unfortunately, I didn't get far into Brittany. By the way, Deauville and Trouville are nice little towns, but pretty dead in the off season. I stayed at a town called Carbourg, a little further along the coast towards Arromanches, in this grand old hotel called the Grand Hotel Pullman. Also very quiet at that time of year, but I sort of liked the authentic feel of Carbourg more than the pseudo-glitz of Deauville. But that's just me. Bon voyage!

Mar 6th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Sheila

I'll do it for you this evening

Mar 17th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Paul

Still looking for some feedback on this itinerary as to towns we've picked & length of time in each place etc. We are now thinking of ending in Quimperfor 3 days -thanks to this board's suggestions - & dropping of the car & tking the train back into Paris for 4 nights.

Mar 17th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Jean

We travelled through Normandy in October 1999.

I don't understand your itinerary. You talk about 4-5 days in Bayeux, but the days are consecutively numbered. Will you travel from Bayeux on Days 4-7 and then from St. Malo on Days 8-11? That's a lot of round trips every day, especially if you occasionally like to take the afternoon off.

FYI: Douville/Trouville were just about dead by mid-October. Sure, there are still people around but the season is long over and many restaurants were closed. In fact, we found most of the coastal towns to be nearly deserted. It was also windy and, though sunny, rather cool.

Monet's gardens at Giverny will be a little colorless, but his house is worth a visit.

Mar 17th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Paul

Thanks Jean. What the days refer to are that we will stay in Bayeux for 4 nights & leisurly visit that area & then move on to St. Malo for 4 more nights, then 3 in Quimper. I thought that this would allow us to go along at a slower pace & not do big amounts of driving each day & not have to pack & unpack to often. Just the first two nights, Giverny & Rouen are one nighters. Does this make sense? Anymore information for us??

Mar 17th, 2002, 05:32 PM
StCirq

Paul: I would not stay in St-Malo for 4 nights. I personally don't like St-Malo much to begin with, but 4 nights would seem really extreme to me. Move on to some other interesting place in Brittany like Fougères or Vitré or St-Brieuc and see some other sights. St-Malo isn't that attractive and the traffic is dreadful (though admittedly both times I've been there have been in summer). Vannes, by the way, is an exceptionally lovely town if you care to head that far south.

Honfleur, by the way, is not known for its beaches - it doesn't have any that I know of - but rather for the beauty of its setting, the oldest wooden cathedral in Europe, and the Musée Boudin, which houses some fine Impressionist paintings. To my mind, it ought to be known for its seafood. restaurants as well.

Dont give short shrift to Rouen - it's a marvelous place with lots to see and do and loads of great restaurants (it beats St-Malo on all counts by a mile).

Finally, enjoy Bayeux. I was back there last summer after a hiatus of several years and realized what a great little town it is. We stayed at the Château de Bellefontaine just a sneeze outside the center of town but in a bucolic setting for a very reasonable price. We could walk into town in 5 minutes, but back at "home" we had fields and cows and a babbling brook surrounding us and spacious, well-appointed rooms for something like $75 a night. I'd recommend it highly.

Bonne route!

Oct 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
DJ

topping

Oct 6th, 2002, 07:53 AM
steve

Have you ever been to Chartres? If not, I would be sure to stop there a day on the way back to Paris.

On the way to Rouen, stop at the castle at Les Andelys. Great ruined castle built by RIchard the Lionhearted, overlooking the Seine

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO