Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stu Dudley Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stu-dudley-tuscany-973813/)

kdub29 Apr 10th, 2013 12:32 PM

Stu Dudley Tuscany

Has anyone received Stu Dudley's Tuscany driving guide(s)? I emailed him but I haven't received a response- I would love to know if anyone has them!

Jean Apr 10th, 2013 12:47 PM

Here's one version:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscan...ng_tuscany.htm

kdub29 Apr 11th, 2013 06:35 AM

Thanks so much, Jean!

TPAYT Apr 11th, 2013 06:48 AM

bookmarking

samoca Apr 11th, 2013 08:13 AM

I have Stu's doc. I don't seem to be able to copy the link here, so KDub,contact me and I can email it to you. It's in a word doc format. It's more than just the Val d'Orcia--might be part of a longer itinerary. Stu is a treasure! I hope he still comes here.

samoca Apr 11th, 2013 08:26 AM

Thought private messaging was enabled on this forum but apparently not. I will email it to you if you post your email address KDub. Otherwise, you can probably just email Stu directly. In April 2009 he told me to email him at [email protected] for his Italy itinerary. It's a word doc. I wasn't able to copy the link onto this forum (but I'm not very savvy).

kdub29 Apr 11th, 2013 12:13 PM

That's precisely where I emailed him and got what seemed to be an automatic response in reply saying he did not have time to respond right now.

If you could send it to me at bostonmedstuff AT gmail DOT com I'd be very appreciative, samoca! Did you use it? What parts did you love?

As of now, I'm planning to stay in San Quirico for the two nights and just drive around for 2 days! Any suggestions are always appreciated!

tower Apr 11th, 2013 12:29 PM

It's not like Stu D. to not respond for requests for his suggested itins.

Stu T.

MaineGG Apr 11th, 2013 12:53 PM

On March 23, StuDudley posted that he was leaving shortly for Europe. I think I remember his saying that he did not stay in touch online during his trips, so that could be the explanation for no response from him recently.

samoca Apr 11th, 2013 01:38 PM

I didn't really follow very closely but did stay in Pienza because couldn't afford the place(s?) in San Quirico that he recommended. I was very happy with Il Giardino Segreto B&B in Pienza and would recommend highly. Lovely room--50 euros in 2009. But I decided I didn't like driving all that much after a very hectic drive from Rome (it hailed all of a sudden when I got off the autostrada and headed uphill to the towns, I went the wrong way in Pienza and backed into a wall, etc.) I did take the short drive to Montalcino, then San Quirico--had lunch. Both places are wonderful! SQ is very small--basically one short street IIRC. I did go to the Abbazia di San Antimo (google for exact location) for Gregorian chants--I think this is a must. But had to leave before it got too dark because the little roads don't have lights. I will be happy to email you Stu's doc, and I do agree with him that it's hard to get more beautiful in this world than the Val d'Orcia. I had to stop the car and get out for a photo about every 5 minutes (not an exaggeration!)

klondike Apr 11th, 2013 10:45 PM

We just returned from doing the first half of the tour suggested by Stu over a 4 day weekend--it was absolutely wonderful.

We stayed at an appartment agriturismo, La Pievina, through booking.com just outside of Montepulciano and loved it. Each morning we headed out and then returned mid afternoon to relax and enjoy the beauiful view from the property...we even had one of the blood-red sunsets one day. The beauty defies description. The planted fields of green and the yellow canola were just starting to come into their own. Farmers were trimming back all the olive trees and tending to the vines. Only white (plum?) flowering trees and yellow forsythia blooming at the moment. I suspect the beautiful red poppies shown on many paintings/ceramics bloom June/July?

Of the three towns 3 of us visited, the popularity vote stands at ranking#1 Montepulciano #2 San Quirico #3 Piensa, with the drive between Piensa and Montepulciano being a highlight drive in both directions. There are quite a few pullouts for photo taking and even a couple of picnic areas, but if you are driving too fast you might miss the turn outs.

It is very obvious Montepulciano is tourist-ville, but we were there early enough in the season that it was virtually deserted at night and light traffic by day, and we loved its rich architecture and wine culture, all its nooks and crannies and arches. It also has quite a menagerie of cats roaming the street that add to the charm.

Pienza was probably our least favorite (though still worth the visit)because it was highly touristic, just one shop after another, after another of cheese, high end art, cheese, with very little variety...to its credit, the people we encountered were incredibly friendly and for a hill town it IS relatively flat for someone who has mobility issues. The views off the wall at high noon were breath taking.

We really enjoyed our time in quiet little San Quirico, which seemed much less tourist oriented with very little to "do" other than relax and visit the religious buildings and the big wine co-op that was open for tastings and purchases (very nice Vin Santo imo)

Hope you have a wonderful time!