Dingle to Westport

Search

Dingle to Westport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingle to Westport

Does anyone have any idea about drive time from Dingle to Westport? I was wondering if it was doable in a day, in June, with a quick stop at the Cliff's of Moher.
Also any info on day trips from Westport would be appreciated.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM

A couple of years ago I drove from Sligo to Dingle in day, with a stop at Clonmacnoise. I can't remember what time I left, but probably before 10am. I made it to the pub in Annascaul around 7pm. Of course, I was taking the inland route through Limerick, and I took major roads and it wasn't high tourist season. So it can be done, but try to leave early, don't take too many scenic routes (it'll be slow going in Co. Clare) and forwarn your WEstport host that you'll arrive in the evening.

I stayed a few days in WEstport, and really enjoyed this town. As for day trips, definitely drive to Achill Island. Climbing Croagh Patrick was cool, but grueling. YOu could also reasonably daytrip into Connemara/Clifden.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info...
we will also be in the sligo and donegal area if you have any tips .
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:04 PM

There is a website that lists directions and driving times for ireland: aaroadwatch.ie

Not sure how accurate it is, but it may be helpful.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:53 AM

chip writes: "Does anyone have any idea about drive time from Dingle to Westport? I was wondering if it was doable in a day, in June, with a quick stop at the Cliff's of Moher."

It will depend largely on how well you time arrival at the Tarbert-Killimer Ferry terminal. Failure to plan could cost you an hour. That would be your route to stop at the Cliffs of Moher (just past Lahinch). The Ferry saves you having to come back thru Limerick to get up to County Clare.

You should be able to get some idea of driving times from the BusEireann web site (www.BusEireann.ie). An Express Bus takes about 1hr 45min from the Cliffs of Moher to Galway and the Galway-Westport bus takes 2-hrs. Of course, if you stop for lunch at Gus O'Connor's (RIP Apr., '03) in Doolin or take the route that goes thru Cong (The Quier Man village) on the way Galway-Westport, you'll have to factor in the time for those stops.