Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   STRIKE information!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/strike-information-839891/)

yiassas May 12th, 2010 03:03 AM

STRIKE information!!

A new 24 hour strike has been announced for Wednesday May 19th.
It's not yet known which unions will take part. Judging from prior strikes, this may include:
Flights may be affected, hopefully more information by the end of the week, but possible that no confirmation until Monday.
All public sites and museums may be closed. This could impact the Acropolis, Agora, Nat. Museum, Acropolis Museum. Anyone in Athens on the 19th will still have plenty of options of things to do/see that won't be affected, just means juggling your itinerary.
Some public transport may not be running, but taxis should be business as usual.

Unless an extended strike is announced (rare) nothing on the 18th or 20th will be affected.
As soon as any details come out I will add to this thread.

yiassas May 12th, 2010 04:36 AM

Already an update, the strike will now be on WEDNESDAY the 20th so as 'not to hamper the Panhellenic examinations of pupils'
It's now 3.30pm here, small chance of further info today, but I will be checking from first thing tomorrow.

pauljagman May 12th, 2010 05:05 AM

Are trans-atlantic flights affected or are the strikes mostly affecting UK to Europe flights? If the latter, does BA attempt to place passangers on other airlines or do they just tell them to sit it out? I'll be flying into Heathrow from Chicago and then on to AMS. If I get to Heathrow would the Eurostar work to AMS?

yiassas May 12th, 2010 05:38 AM

This info is only regarding strikes in Greece. All flights in, out or internally may be affected here if the air traffic controllers join the strike. Nothing to do with BA or anywhere else in Europe.

Ackislander May 12th, 2010 05:47 AM

The country is bankrupt, its citizens have been doing the equivalent of living on their credit cards FOR years, they are dependent on the charity of Germany and France, one of the few hopes is increased tourism and industry, yet everything they are doing makes tourists less likely to visit and ensures that no rational company would open a new factory or office in Greece. I grieve for rational and patriotic Greeks!

yiassas May 12th, 2010 07:00 AM

So sorry for the confusion, Thursday the 20th!
Ackislander, please keep things in perspective, the media has done much negative reporting on events in Greece, but in reality there have been 5 or 6 days of striking this year, out of 4.5 months! That compares well to some other places (everywhere has their problems at the moment), such as 20 days of BA cabin crew strikes in May & June!
Very infuriating & frustrating for anyone affected, but this will be a minority, many will come to Greece & not even notice any difference. If it makes you not want to visit that is your choice, but thousands have already been this year & thousands more to come. I will still be travelling all over Greece & enjoying it!
The best I can do is try to inform people of any information I can get, don't shoot the messenger!

jersey1977 May 12th, 2010 09:25 AM

Quick strike related question perhaps someone can help with. We were going to see Delphi the morning of the 20th and then drop our rental at the Athens airport before taking a taxi to our hotel (Athens Gate). With the pending strike, we can tweak our schedule to see Delphi in the late afternoon of the 19th instead. Is Delphi open to 7pm?

But does anyone have any suggestions how we get into Athens on the 20th? I presume we can just leave our car with the keys under the seat at the aiport (I will ask when we pickup the car on the 15th)

But if the airport is closed will there be any taxis there to get us into the city? I presume the airport bus and public transit will not be working... Any thoughts?

Also, it looks we will have a totally free day on the 20th (including a rental car as long as we want). We will be spending the night in Delphi on the 19th. Any suggestions what we do that day if all the sites are closed? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks so much.

earlyshow2 May 12th, 2010 04:46 PM

Thank you Yaiassas for your update. I'm not worried about my up coming trip. I have charge cards, good debit cards, and cash. I have all conditions covered. In case of strike, I guess I can cope. I'm coming to Greece!

Weadles May 12th, 2010 06:19 PM

I've traveled in many countries during strikes and once during a mini-revolution. It was a little stressful, but we were never in any kind of danger, and I felt much sorrier for the civilians affected by it than I did for our ruined plans. This week Greece is in the spotlight, but next week it could be Spain, Portugal, or...? That's why nothing's stopping us from returning to Greece in a few weeks. We're looking forward to another great trip.

dutyfree May 12th, 2010 06:31 PM

Thanks Yaiassas for your updates. I fly to Athens this weekend and next weekend so am very interested in your information. After last week's layover in Athens and being required to stay in and near our hotel during the strikes and riots,I am bringing more reading material and some wine!!!
No matter what-I love the Greek people,the countryside, the food and the hassles.

dutyfree May 12th, 2010 06:33 PM

Pauljagman-I think that I would be more concerned with the BA strike and actually getting to Athens from Chicago because their first strike is the 18th for several days?

brandonmd May 13th, 2010 02:35 AM

Will they be striking in August too... not sure if I want to deal with all of this

yiassas May 13th, 2010 03:12 AM

Striking in Greece in August is not impossible, but EXTREMELY unlikely, the Greeks are on holiday! There aren't that many left in Athens to join any demonstration/strike, so very little chance of any problems.
Stop worrying, this will be the 6th or 7th day of striking in 4 & half months, really not as often as the media would have you believe!
Coming in August reduces the odds considerably of you being affected by a strike, if your travel days are not Tues, Weds or Thurs you reduce the odds even further.

yiassas May 13th, 2010 03:21 AM

jersey1977,
Rearranging so you see Delphi on the 19th would be a good idea. Certainly discuss your options for the car when you collect it, drop off at the airport may leave you stranded if the airport is closed, there would be no need for taxis to be there, & it's not known yet if, or which, public transport will be on strike. Worth noting on the last strike day the Metro only reduced their hours, they didn't strike for the whole day. I hope there will be a bit more detailed info by the time you collect your car, but I would call the company on the 19th for absolute final arrangements.

johnnieb May 13th, 2010 05:35 PM

Thank you Yiassas for your "insider" info...I know we all appreciate a voice of reason on the scene!!!

yiassas May 13th, 2010 10:37 PM

The Seamen's union has announced that they will be taking part in the strike called for the 20th, so ferries will be a problem. I am checking for further details on this & other unions.

yiassas May 13th, 2010 11:08 PM

yes, ferry strike confirmed - 24 hr strike- 2 separate days,
Some details,
Ferries affected,
20.05 commencing 00.01 on 20.05 for 24 hrs.

THEY ALSO ANNOUNCED,
31.05 06.00 am to 01.06 06.00 am. Cruise ship Zenith to be affected DURING this strike and to be denied access and disembarkation.

yiassas May 14th, 2010 04:32 AM

SOME GOOD NEWS!!!!
The air traffic controllers have announced that they will NOT be joining the strike on the 20th. Let's hope a few more see sense too!

gertie3751 May 14th, 2010 05:25 AM

Thanks Yiassas. Keep it coming!

HelenG May 14th, 2010 10:23 AM

Woohoo!!! Thank you for the good news!! Even though nothing would keep me away from Greece in June (barring any major catastrophe),it would be so nice to arrive at a peaceful Athens!!