Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stresa/Lake Maggiore: Does anyone have a restaurant recommentdation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stresa-lake-maggiore-does-anyone-have-a-restaurant-recommentdation-696731/)

i_am_kane Apr 14th, 2007 04:15 AM

Stresa/Lake Maggiore: Does anyone have a restaurant recommentdation?

We will be staying in Stresa for six nights in May '07. I've done research online for restaurants, but would like to hear first-hand from people who have dined in this area.

We plan on visiting Pallanza, and also going north to Locarno, SW for a day-trip. If time permits, another 1/2 days trip to Orta.

Sometimes a restaurant is better for lunch than dinner, and that information would be helpful also.

Thank you.

JN Apr 14th, 2007 05:01 AM

If you're in Locarno for lunch, I'd recommend the Al Pozz restaurant A nice restaurant with outdoor seating and lake view is the Al Pozz, about 2 blocks from the train station in Muralto on Viale Verbano 21. They have this spit-roasted chicken with Risotto that is to die for. Extensive wine list, good service and even a salad bar. The outdoor seating area offers views of the lake. Umbrellas and those heating element things allow you to eat outside even if the weather isn't great.

In the evening in Locarno, we like Cafe Del Populo, in the old town above Piazza Grande. They have excellent pizza, pasta and breaded veal, and a good wine list.

JN Apr 14th, 2007 05:03 AM

Pardon the redundancy in my previous post. I should learn to do a better job proof reading.

bobthenavigator Apr 14th, 2007 05:11 AM

There is a place just above Stresa named Il Rustico[that is close] that we liked. Have lunch one day at Hotel Verbano on Isola Pescatori--get the catch of the day.

i_am_kane Apr 14th, 2007 10:24 AM

Thanks to both of you for your recommendations.

StCirq Apr 14th, 2007 10:50 AM

Though it is now quite a few years ago, we also enjoyed Il Rustico.

kmbp Apr 15th, 2007 12:26 PM

July 2006, we enjoyed our dinner at Tiangolo, via Roma 61, Stresa.

It's a very short walk from the busy, bustling touristed area of town. We began our meal on the awninged front terrace and as the rain and wind increased, we moved into the very pleasant dining room.

Details of what we ate escape me now--my husband recalls he 'probably' had his regional favorites, the risotto and local lake fish--but we all agreed it was a lovely dinner. Service was pleasant and professional; accomodating our sleeping 6-month-old grandson and his stroller was no trouble.

Afterward, we wished we had dined at Triangolo earlier in our stay in Stresa--we would have returned if we had another evening there!

i_am_kane Apr 15th, 2007 12:45 PM

St. Cirq, I will check out Il Rustico an see if I can locate an address on line.

kmbp, I would appreciate it if you could give me the correct spelling of the restaurant. You wrote "tiangolo" as well as "triangolo" in your post.

There is a restaurant in Pallanza, across Lago Maggiore, named Osteria D'Angolo - could this be the same restaurant? (angolo in italian is translated into angle in english.) Was the restaurant you are referring to located on a corner?

i_am_kane Apr 15th, 2007 12:47 PM

Now that I am re-reading all the responses, I see that Bob and St. Cirq both recommend Il Rustico. With six days to eat lunch and dinner, we'll be sure to have a meal at this ristorante.

kmbp Apr 15th, 2007 01:28 PM

Sorry for the typo.

ristorante TRIANGOLO

i_am_kane Apr 15th, 2007 07:28 PM

kmbp,

Thanks a bunch!

schnauzer Apr 15th, 2007 08:18 PM

I too can second Triangolo. We had an amazing meal there. Very professional service, quite upmarket in their manner. Make this restaurant a definate. Schnauzer