Street artists in Paris

Old May 7th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Sue

Street artists in Paris

Would someone tell me in what district you would find the artists displaying their paintings and in fact actually painting on site.Thanks

Old May 7th, 2000, 01:10 PM
wes fowler

Sue, <BR>Probably the most well known site to find artists' work displayed is the Place du Tertre in Montmartre where mobs of tourists convene to look at a lot of mediocre art. If you want to view some interesting and original contemporary works, there are a number of studios in the Bastille area on rue de Lappe, rue de Charonne and rue Keller. The Galerie Durand-Dessert at 28 rue de Lappe occupies four stories of a former factory and is probably the most impressive gallery in the area. <BR> <BR>Now, to see artists painting on site, pick a sunny day and any of the bridges leading from the left bank to the Ile de la Cite. Petit Pont, Pont St. Michel, Pont Neuf or Pont au Double; any or all will have artists painting either the Seine or Notre Dame.

Old May 7th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Jeff

Hi Sue and Wes, <BR> <BR>Wes, I feel that your description of the artist's work in that area as mediocre is unfair, and that Sue should go have a look for herself. Granted, the ubiquitous portraitists get a little old, and some of the art I saw there seemed repetitive, but there is talent there in my opinion. I bought a beautiful piece there that I love, and I still can't get over the detail and uniqueness of it. <BR> <BR>Sue, I'd head over to Montmartre. Mediocrity is often in the eye of the beholder.

Old May 7th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Donna

Another good spot to look - behind Notre Dame, where there are usually dozens. Be sure to check the gift shops of any museums you visit or happen by, too. There are gorgeous reproductions of "the Masters" at low prices. Be sure to request a cardboard tube for bringing anything you purchase home. The best bridge for finding artists is Pont des Arts (a pedestrian bridge). To me, personally, some of the lithographs and watercolors in the "tourist shops" were far superior to what I saw at Place du Tetre. The artists you see out and about are typically the more casual artists. There are galleries all over displaying the work of more serious artists.

Old May 7th, 2000, 01:51 PM
Nancy C.

Sue, what are you looking for? Something to remind you of your trip? A 'serious' work by a 'serious' artist? Snob appeal? An inexpensive souvenir? <BR> <BR>The Place du Tetre has it's cheesy side, no doubt. It also has work by some talented artists who are plenty 'serious.' I agree with Jeff.....go look for yourself, and decide for yourself. Go to the more expensive Galleries as well; having the time to browse and compare is a luxury. <BR> <BR>Unless you're looking to impress someone besides yourself, or are looking for an investment piece, look around and buy whatever you enjoy. Art doesn't have to be snobbery, high price tags, or jaded overstimulation.

Old May 7th, 2000, 02:21 PM
Tammy

What great info regarding where to find the street artists in Paris! I'm leaving for Paris in 2 1/2 weeks and this is one of the things I am looking forward to buying. I have bought "street" art in Florence, Venice, Sao Paulo, Rio and London. I haven't spent very much money on any of the paintings. However, they are all now framed and hanging on the walls of my home. Each and every time I look at one of the paintings it brings back such wonderful and fond memories. They will never be considered fine art, but that doesn't matter. Great memories are priceless.

Old May 7th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Sue

Thanks, everyone for the information. I was looking for a photo op.

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:39 PM
Sue

Thanks for all the information - it's just what I was looking for. <BR>I don't know about the last message but I gather someone out there would like to get a photo of the scene and that sounds pretty good to me too. It has all been a big help.