Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strawberry tours vs free tours by foot for walking tours In London

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Looking for recommendations for anyone that has taken strawberry tours or free tours by foot for a walking tour in London. We are looking to just hit the main sights as we are only in town for 2 days. We will have two 11 year olds with us so I think the 3 hours tours are sufficient.

Also, how much is standard to tip the guides for a free walking tour?

thank you!
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 10:25 PM

To be honest - with just two days (I'm assuming you haven'y been before) I personally would not bother with any walking tours. None -- except maybe an evening one when major sites are closed. By definition, walking tours only cover very small geographic areas and most likely only one or at most two of your 'wish list' major sites would be included

"We are looking to just hit the main sights" in two days you won'y see even a teensy fraction of the 'main' sites. In two days plan on seeing 4 major sites and maybe another couple of 'second tier attractions. A good rule of thumb is two major sites a day -- three can be squeezed in if they are quite near or convenient each other. And if day one is your arrival day -- cut that in half. Just the very 'major-est' of sites would take a week or more. Transport takes time, meal breaks take time -- everything takes time.

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 10:39 PM

. . . meant to add -- I especially would not take a daytime walking tour with kids -- there are soooooooo many really terrific sites/activities for families, and waking around with a guide is not one of them IMO. (And I've taken a LOT of walking tours in London - I just think most would not fit your demographic and very short time frame)
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
To be honest - with just two days (I'm assuming you haven'y been before) I personally would not bother with any walking tours. None -- except maybe an evening one when major sites are closed. By definition, walking tours only cover very small geographic areas and most likely only one or at most two of your 'wish list' major sites would be included

"We are looking to just hit the main sights" in two days you won'y see even a teensy fraction of the 'main' sites. In two days plan on seeing 4 major sites and maybe another couple of 'second tier attractions. A good rule of thumb is two major sites a day -- three can be squeezed in if they are quite near or convenient each other. And if day one is your arrival day -- cut that in half. Just the very 'major-est' of sites would take a week or more. Transport takes time, meal breaks take time -- everything takes time.
I agree completely with Janisj on this! I have been to London several times, and with kids. You will see a lot of London just going from place to place and actually see more by going inside of a few major sites. Also, donít even think about a HOHO bus. It sits in traffic, wasting time and exposing you to fumes. Pick your top four things. Plan plenty of time for each. Let the kids do some research and perhaps each pick one and research it to share with the family. Top for my kids was Tower of London. They also liked Westminster, the Victoria and Albert Museum and Buckingham Palace. As you go from place to place, see what else you may be close to that you could have a quick look. Make lunch or dinner part of the tour by eating in a crypt in one of the churches. I donít know which is best currently, but several do it. In the evening, see a play or musical or dance performance of some kind. There are tons of discount tickets. Also, you might enjoy a play at The Globe. There are some good sandwich places nearby.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 11:50 PM

Another vote for no walking tour. I think your kids might be bored as you usually walk by places but don't go inside on most walking tours. There is quite a bit of standing around listening to a guide. I love walking tours but only opted for doing them in London after spending a week there seeing many of the major sights.