Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stratford-Upon-Avon - Attraction / Tour recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Stratford-Upon-Avon at the end of June!! It's last minute for us and I haven't done the usual amount of research I put into a trip. We'll have plenty of time there as we are visiting friends who live there now.

We enjoy structured/guided tours and would like to know any of your recs for a Shakespeare-themed day tour. I know there are many to choose from but any firsthand accounts would be most welcome.

Kenilworth Castle looks like it will be a nice visit so we are going to head there for a visit. Any tips?

Warwick castle looks a little too theme-park-y--can anyone weigh in whether it's worth it for two adults who love history and can stand a little tackiness but not something that's over-the-top Chuck-E-Cheese-esque?
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Topping in hope of some input this morning.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM

I've never taken a tour of Stratford, I found it easy to see the Shakespeare-associated sites on my own. They are quite small and both his birthplace and Ann Hathaway's cottage have guides on site. I don't remember a guide at Trinity Church. The RSC theater has recently had extensive rennovation, tours may be available.

I like Warwick Castle but skipped the dungeon experience or whantever it's called. Thought the Tussaud waxworks meant to depict a houseparty in the early 1900s were a good addition to the rooms which are furnished from that era. Probably wouldn't go back but glad I went, once in the 70s and once in the 90s.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM

I live in Stratford and would recommend just walking around the town and along the river. Stratford is quite small, the streets are on a grid-pattern and it's easy to find your way around. If you wish to see more Shakespeare properties than the home of W.S. and Holy Trinity Church, take the 'hop on, hop off' bus to Ann Hathaway's Cottage and/or Mary Arden's House. Guides on hand in all the properties to give you background. You can also visit the newly refurbished Royal Shakespeare Theatre - worth a trip to the top of the new tower and the restaurant with glass walls overlookingthe Avon is good value.
Warwick Castle is rather theme-park but good fun. Kenilworth is more atmospheric, I'd say but more difficult to get to, unless you are hiring a car.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM

Number one recommendation, book tickets for a production by RSC at the RST. I see they are doing Macbeth and Merchant of Venice in June. Even if you don't like live theater or don't like Shakespeare, or sleep through part of it, you won't regret it.

Yes, Warwick is touristy in parts, but well worth the visit anyway. There's a reason why it's so popular. i too skipped the dungeon, so can't comment on that.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I get to see Merchant of Venice because my friend has a tiny roll where she's on stage (no speaking)!! So excited. We love Shakespeare and live near Staunton, VA (Blackfriar's Payhouse).

Thanks for the input, Fodorites! I will take the advice to walk around on our own and we won't skip Warwick castle.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM

IMO get a Great British Heritage Pass as it covers all Shakespeare Properties as well as Warwick Castle as well as zillions of other places in London and all over Britain.

Great British Heritage Pass: Britain Sightseeing with the British ...
Planning to visit Britain? Discover UK heritage with the Great British Heritage Pass. Visit 400+ British heritage sites for Free - Buy here today!
www.britishheritagepass.com/
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

We'll think about the pass---not sure if it would pay for itself in savings or not so I will have to calculate but that's a great tip and I appreciate it.

How long could we expect to spend at Kenilworth castle? We like tours and history so we're not likely to skip and of it but I can't get a feel for how big the property is.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:20 AM
ron

I spent about 2 hours when I visited Kenilworth Castle last September, which included a quick lunch in the restaurant in the restored barn, so maybe 90 minutes touring. I found it quite interesting; probably a must-see for anyone interested in the Dudley/Elizabeth 1st love story.

Contrary to the comment above, I did not find it difficult to get to by public transport. Stagecoach X17 bus runs through Kenilworth between Warwick and Coventry; maybe a 10 minute pleasant walk to the castle from the bus stop. More pleasnt if you return through the Abbey Fields.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM

On you way from Stratford to Warwick. Stop off at Henley in Arden, there is a fantastic ice cream parlour also next door is a lovely little "museum" well worth a stop for 1/2 Hour ( and it's on your way from Stratford)
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

We are hiring a car so we'll have a bit of freedom to get around.

Thanks for the timing help, ron.

Smeagol, we loves ice cream, precious. I am sure we'll stop!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Make sure you do, you can't miss it it's on the right after the main traffic lights ( where you would go right to Warwick) you know you are in the right place the sign is a cow jumping over the moon.....
BTW a FAB lunch stop in Kenilworth is the Cross OR you could try the crab mill on the main road from Henley to Warwick.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Well the GBHeritage Pass would be good if you are touring also other things besides Stratford - I would think Kenilworth would be covered and Warwick and that will all the Bard's poperties could pay for the 7-day pass and you could even use it in say London at St Paul's Cathedral, shakespeare's Globe Theatre Museum, etc.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:37 AM

Recommended Lunch stop in Kenilworth opposite the castle
Harrington's on the Hill
www.harringtonsonthehill.com/

There's a fantastic garden at Kenilworth castle too.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...bethan-garden/
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

So much help! Obviously I should have accounted for the time difference when I first posted. We'll probably picnic/cook most of the meals we are going to have but I will look at the suggested places for the meals that we do eat out.

The GBHeritage pass is hands-down a good deal if we have to pay full price for everything but our friends have a few connections that might get us some discounts. If we didn't have that advantage, I am sure we'd do it.

I can't wait to go and I will be sure to write a trip report to add to all this lovely collective Fodor's wisdom.