Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strategy for the free museum day on the first Sunday of the month in Paris

Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris on the first Sunday of February, and I have a couple of questions about planning my day. It's the free museum day. I must be at the Chatelet Theatre for a concert at 18h. The Pompidou Centre is practically next to it. My question is how long are the line in the late afternoon for a museum such at the Pomp. Does it take hours to get into the museums? What I want to do is going to couple of other places and then get to the Pompidou about 15h00 and get out about 17:30. Is that possible, probable or just a dream?

I am going to decide where I should go that morning. I am think of going to Versailles very early, but I was there years ago, and maybe I can just skip it. I'm sure Versailles is a zoo. If I got to Versailles right at 9h would there be 1000s of people in line or do the crowds arrive a little later..

Are there some overlooked museums that are free that might not be so crowded?

After the 18h concert, I am going straight to the Arch de Triomphe arrive about 20:45. Will I be able to get in? I know it closes around 22:00.

Thanks for all of your ideas. This is my first trip to Paris in 30 years, and I want to do it right!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM

IME, there are never any lines at the Pompidou Center.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Agreed, only lines I've ever seen at the Pompidou Center are the ones for the security scanners and not a big deal.

When I was last in Paris for a first Sunday, we opted to "use" it to go to the Louvre, as it was the most expensive of the museums we wanted to visit. And yes the lines get long to get in! The lines are primarily for the security scanners, and of course once in the museum, it's vast enough that you can avoid the crowds. With the caveat that it was a couple of years ago - the only trick I know is, instead of going in through the main pyramid entrance, look for the small entrance down stairs near the Arc du Carrousel, on the border between the Louvre proper and the Tuileries. This got us through a less populated security screening line once past the mall area. (Yes, there is a mall in the Louvre, complete with a Tie Rack when I was there!!)

If it's been 30 years, do take the time to peruse the pyramid entrance to the Louvre. Also, during excavations for it, they uncovered the medieval foundations to the castle, which I found quite interesting.

The museum in the old Gare d'Orsay is also a venue that I think didn't exist 30 years ago. It's usually a zoo at the entrance as well; if you're purchasing a ticket, buy it at the end of the day before, when the lines will have disappeared.

Oh, and as for Versailles: it never was a favorite of mine, until a trip in 2006. The renovations they have made to the building and gardens are spectacular! Sorry I can't help with any line-beating ideas for that one though.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM

If a main interest in Versailles is the gardens, Feb is not the time for a trip...statues covered in tarps, fountains empty, nothing flowering, etc., IME. However, I bought my ticket in Paris the day before and was there right when the gates opened...no wait, good chance for some unobstructed photos (had the hall of mirrors to myself for several minutes).

When I did the free museum day (March 09), I hit l'Orangerie first, soon after opening, and the line was really long when I left--though I'm sure there is some ebb and flow during the day. I then walked over to the Louvre and used the Carousel entrance, as ggreen mentions above. Very short line to get through security, virtually no wait.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 11:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Even though lines are long, they move quickly since they are only for minimal security. The Pompidou Center is never a problem.