Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   STRASSBOURG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/strassbourg-639379/)

richlois Aug 15th, 2006 11:49 AM

STRASSBOURG

I plan to drive from Zurich to Strassbourg. Would appreciate some help on a good hotel selection in a good location. Will spend two nights (Saturday, Sunday)second weekend in September.
How about things to do and see? Places to eat? Any other advice.
Thanks.

grandmere Aug 15th, 2006 12:25 PM

www.hotel-rohan.com

I like this charming 3 star on a pedestrian street, very near the 800 yr old cathedral.

ira Aug 15th, 2006 12:37 PM

Hi rich,

It will help you in your research to spell it Strasbourg.

((I))

LoriNY1 Aug 15th, 2006 04:39 PM

DH and I stayed at the Rohan in 2004. Great location, lovely hotel, friendly and helpful staff, would stay there again.

Robespierre Aug 15th, 2006 04:41 PM

That's okay. Google asks, <font color="blue">Did you mean <i>Strasbourg</i>?</font> - and then proceeds to list 2,660,000 links to <i>Strassbourg</i>.

ira Aug 16th, 2006 07:01 AM

Hi robe,

Do you trust links that don't know how to spell the name of the city? :)

((I))

Robespierre Aug 16th, 2006 10:46 AM

No.

I was merely pointing out that if you misspell a proper name you're searching for, Google will usually offer a corrected version. Which you can click on.

marigross Aug 16th, 2006 12:02 PM

I stayed in the Petit France area and loved it. The Regent Petit France hotel was really nice and well located. It was paid for by the company so I can't remember how expensive it was.

JEFF_ Aug 18th, 2006 09:09 AM

Enjoyed my stay at Hotel de l'Europe. A Best Western on a convenient, quiet pedestrian street near Petit France.

http://www.hotel-europe.com/

francophile03 Aug 18th, 2006 09:39 AM

Here's another vote for Hotel de l'Europe. I don't know if the receptionist, Marie, still works there as we stayed there in 2002. But she sent was very helpful prior to the trip by answering my questions. I had a question about the train schedule and she researched it and got back to me overnight. The hotel is decorated nicely yet simple. I requested a room under the eaves which I don't recommend. The room was very large for Europe, but it was not renovated recently. The bathroom was painted an electric blue color and the bathtub was also blue. I suggest to request a more updated room. Location was great as it's on the corner of a pedestrianized street which leads to the main street and the La Petit France area. The hotel's buffet breakfast was very good with meats, cheese, yogurt, juice, and the regular fare.

norween Aug 18th, 2006 10:06 AM

Just a bit of nitpicking : it's PetitE France :-)

Alec Aug 18th, 2006 10:29 AM

Strasbourg in French
Strassburg in German/Alsatian

Trophywife007 Aug 18th, 2006 10:41 AM

Another hotel possibility would be Maison Rouge. Ask for a room with a/c.

kerouac Aug 18th, 2006 11:21 AM

I enjoyed spending 40 &euro; for the Etap H&ocirc;tel facing the train station.

Robespierre Aug 18th, 2006 12:13 PM

&quot;Strasbourg in French
Strassburg in German/Alsatian&quot;

...depending on where the frontier is at the moment?

Luisah Aug 18th, 2006 02:08 PM

I enjoyed the Rohan and the convenient neighborhood. There is an interesting museum (Palais des Rohan) nearby and a landing for a riverboat tour. Lots of restaurants but I don't remember the names. The hotel owner/staff will recommend restaurants.

Easy walk to Galeries Lafayette and other shops.

logos999 Aug 18th, 2006 02:14 PM

&gt;.depending on where the frontier is at the moment?
It's good the way it is today :-)
Not Strassburg but Stra&szlig;burg btw. :-)

bill_w Aug 18th, 2006 02:41 PM

logos....RICHTIG

norween Aug 18th, 2006 10:46 PM

If you are interested in frontiers/borders, when you are in Strasbourg, go to the Jardin des deux rives : this public park is in both France(Strasbourg) and Germany(Kehl) (with a bridge in the middle) - There are often open air concerts there.
To go there, the public bus #21 operated by the CTS (Strasbourg public transports) serves both cities (they share a large number of infrastructures)