Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strasbourg? In November?? Without a car???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 03:37 PM
kmarie

We'll be in Paris for a conference the third week in November and I'd like to take the opportunity for a brief vacation. After a few days in Paris, I was thinking of three days in Strasbourg, going by train to avoid what my husband considers the hassle of renting a car. (Yes, we have done a problem-free car rental in France before--Chartres/Mont-Saint-Michel/Bayeux--and certainly will again, just not this time.) On other trips, when we have more time and better weather, we'll head for Brittany, the chateaux of the Loire, and Provence. <BR> <BR>My questions for you helpful Fodorites--Do you recommend Strasbourg for three days in November? Is there enough to do in the city itself? (I have researched previous posts; cathedral, river cruise, and la petite France are in my plan.) Are there side-trips that are accessible by public transportation? Colmar? Or would you suggest another destination *in France* that would not involve a great deal of travel time from Paris? Other thoughts? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your advice!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Christina

Sure, why not, I suppose it's as good as any place in November. There is enough to do for maybe two days, I'd say. There is a train station there and you could easily see Colmar or Nancy by train for a day trip (and probably also Mulhouse, but I think the others are closer and definitely worthwhile, but you can peruse www.ville-mulhouse.fr). I loved Nancy for its museums and park and central square; if you don't like art (famous art nouveau museum there, one of the best in the world, and an excellent regional folk arts/local history museum, it has some paintings, also), you might not like it. I think that's a good idea for a place to go not too far from Paris with a variety of things to see and do. I don't know about a river cruise in Strasbourg, don't recall seeing that but maybe(it's a very small river in town), but you definitely should see the chateau (palace?) and museums also (right near the cathedral).

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:42 PM
scurry

<BR>We found Strasbourg kind of boring in the Summer -- let alone in the Winter months. There were definitely river cruises in May, but I'm not sure about November. <BR> <BR>But to answer your question -- yes, it is very accessible to Paris via Train. We really found Colmar enchanting. I know there are Strasbourg-Mulhouse trains so I'm sure you can get to Colmar too. <BR> <BR>Nice might be Nice ...

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:20 PM
Fred

We went to Strasbourg 2 years ago in early November. The train ride is fabulous as you are not traveling at TGV speeds and can enjoy the scenery between Paris and Strasbourg. There were sightseeing river cruises running <BR>on a limited schedule and you get a good <BR>perspective on the city. <BR> <BR>It is quite easy to get to Colmar by train, its a short ride and the trains run fairly frequently. It is definitely worth taking the time out for the trip. <BR> <BR>Although you don't want to rent a car, I <BR>would highly recommend doing so for a day and driving the "Wine Road" The towns are uncrowded in Nov and stopping at the small wineries is a treat. The wines are quite inexpensive and are nice. The trail is fairly well marked but its good to know the next town as signage points to the next town. Half the fun was getting lost and discovering villages off the beaten track. <BR> <BR>You may want to rent bikes in Strasbourg as there are well marked bike lanes. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your mini vacation.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:46 PM
Mika Müller

Have you got a hotel in Strasbourg? We live in Zuerich, Switzerland and go there for shopping, Christmas market, Eating etc. I recommend the Maison Rouge, it is centrally located, nice and very reasonably priced. Look it up in the Internet. NOvember is not the tourist season, but the hotel is favoured by business travellers. Have a nice stay. Mika

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Cate

We were in Strasbourg in February and really enjoyed it, we stayed at the Hotel Rohan, which is across the square from the cathedral, awesome! The Staff was very helpful and sent us to great restaurants every night. They have a web site, if you're interested.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:52 PM
kmarie

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your advice, both the Strasbourg-specific and the suggestions for alternatives. (I had never thought of Nancy! Merci, Christina.)<BR>Maybe, if I'm lucky, we'll be able stretch this trip a few additional days--and incorporate more of your ideas! Scurry and Fred, it seems Colmar should definitely be on my list.<BR>Mike and Cate, thanks for the hotel recommendations. I had seen both mentioned on earlier posts when I did a search; it's good to have additional endorsements.<BR>More ideas?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:12 AM
ktwilcox

I'm JUST back (2 days ago) from a 3-week trip and will do a major report next week but...since you asked: Spent 2 nights (one full day) at the Hotel du Dragon in Strasbourg. Excellent in all ways. Across the canal from Petite France; under 10 minute walk to the Cathedral. Nice, quiet location. Good rooms and facilities, helpful staff. We had dinner at Au Crocodile (3 Michelin stars - not something we'd done before!) and it was fabulous - both food and service (not pompous, just right). Also at a winstub "Zum Strissel" - excellent.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:32 AM
kam

We were there two years ago. Another vote for Hotel Rohan. Of the two cities, Strasbourg and Colmar, we much prefered Colmar! My advice is to see both, but plan a full day at least in Colmar. See the altarpiece at the Unterlinden museum. Wow! You could also visit Rheims for a look at the cathedral and some champagne tours at Veuve Clicquot,Pommery,Taittinger or Piper Heidsieck. Call ahead for reservations. We want to return soon.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Christina

I stayed at the Hotel de l'Europe in Strasbourg and liked it very much. It has a perfect location, especially if you want to take day trips by train as it is near the Petite France area (just a couple blocks down the street) but within walking distance of the train station (although I'd take a cab with luggage, it's maybe 1/2 mile). You can walk to the main cathedral area but you are not right in it which I really liked as I don't like staying in noisy busy areas like that. The hotel was wonderful, HUGE rooms (about the size of 2 usual French hotel rooms) with good bathrooms, everything you'd want, a great included breakfast in a pretty DR (not a basement like in Paris), nice staff. It was very reasonably priced, a 3-star hotel.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 04:00 PM
Barbara

We lived in Strasbourg for four months and managed quite nicely in the city itself without a car. Stroll through La Petite France and make sure to have dinner in a restaurant near the canal. A wonderful restaurant to try is "La Cloche Du Fromage" near the cathedral. The cheese is spectacular and the reception is warm and friendly...also try Bauman's restaurant near the Place Kleber - delicious seafood.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:31 AM
KPoland

We stayed at the Hotel Cathedral, right in front of the Cathedral. It was cheap, clean and friendly. The river cruise was relaxing, and the late May sun a welcome treat on our shoulders. The boats go smoothly through the locks, and many landmarks are seen. The food was wonderful at Le Clou, and had I been allowed to shop, the stores were inviting. (we were not quite in sync with the luncheon closing hours at that part of our trip)