Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strasbourg-Hotel des Rohan or Hotel Europe

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:40 PM
alison

Which hotel is better for charm and location?

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:30 PM
richardab

I stayed at the Hotel des Rohan and really liked it. Its a simple hotel with a good staff and a nice breakfast. The rooms have good character and clean tiled baths. The location couldn't be better. It is just steps away from the catherdal and around tons of shops, cafes and restaurants. A great deal. One tip - Parking for the hotel is in the city operated garage. The hotel is located in a pedestrian only area so this means you have to park the car and walk to the hotel. The hotel will be happy to send someone to help with ypr luggage. Have you see hteir websight?

http://www.hotel-rohan.com

Let me know if you have any questions about Strasbourg or the Alsace region!

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:31 PM
richardab

I stayed at the Hotel des Rohan and really liked it. Its a simple hotel with a good staff and a nice breakfast. The rooms have good character and clean tiled baths. The location couldn't be better. It is just steps away from the catherdal and around tons of shops, cafes and restaurants. A great deal. One tip - Parking for the hotel is in the city operated garage. The hotel is located in a pedestrian only area so this means you have to park the car and walk to the hotel. The hotel will be happy to send someone to help with ypr luggage. Have you see their websight?

http://www.hotel-rohan.com

Let me know if you have any questions about Strasbourg or the Alsace region!

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:28 AM
honey

I'm going to Strasbourg for a couple of days pretty soon. Any big tips, good restaurants, cool stuff not to miss?

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Sue

Another vote for Hotel de Rohan; great little place!

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Christina

This obviously is just a personal preference as I would definitely vote for Hotel de l'Europe (I stayed there in fact) and against the other specifically because it is around the cathedral and all the tourists. It is really crowded and noisy around there and I hate that. So there you go. The Europe is near the Petite France area and within easy walking distance of everything, about equidistant from the train station and the cathedral, but not right in that tourist square. I planned a couple train day trips from Strasbourg and that is another reason I wanted to be within walking distance of the train station.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:32 PM
steve

The Hotel de l'Europe has a great location and helpful staff. Our room was small, simply furnished but comfortable. We had an excellent dinner at Chez Yvonne. It is a very well-known, casual restaurant with good regional cuisine. The hotel staff will gladly make reservations for you.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:14 PM
alison

Re: Hotel de l'Europe, did they ask for a faxed confirmation or did they accept an email with your credit card info. only?

Also what do they offer for breakfast?

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Christina

That's real interesting that Steve's room was small because the largest hotel room I've ever had in France was there -- it was humongous, the size of 2-3 usual hotel rooms. Now, as I do recall, I was very specific about my room, asking them exact room sizes and I went for a superior room because the rates were so cheap compared to Paris, that I wasn't going to scrimp. And I'm glad I did, as even the superior double room I had (it was a corner room on the front side, probably 2nd-3rd floor) was only US$100 or less.

As for the breakfast, I didn't mention, but that was one of the best things about the hotel. They have just a lovely breakfast room and an outstanding buffet breakfast, it was a very pleasant way to start the day (and a good idea as there wasn't a good breakfast place real close). I don't recall if they had eggs, but they had good coffee, and a variety of good bread products, rolls, and cereal, for sure. It really was good as it stuck out in my mind, although I'm missing the details. The Italian restaurant right across the street is good also, and also has Alsatian food.

I did all my reserving by FAX, as I recall, not email.