Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strasbourg, France-starting point for 2 weeks to travel

Mar 28th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Strasbourg,France the beginning of Sept. We have 2 weeks to travel with a car. Please recommend interesting places to visit. We've been to Paris, so we thought of visiting the small towns around Strasbourg, going to Provence and maybe going to the Swiss Alps. Also what is the cheapest airfare. We would like to fly into 1 place and leave from another loation.
Mar 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Strasbourg is a lovely city and worth a few days visit. You will certainly want to travel south from Strasbourg to Colmar on the Alsatian Route du Vin through picturesque towns and villages such as Obernai, Ribeauvillé, Kaysersberg and Riquewihr, as well as the castle at Haut-Koenigsberg. You will likely be there for the grape harvest, and the fragrance of the grapes being pressed in these towns is unforgettable. The high route (Route des Crêtes)along the crest of the Voges Mountains is very picturesque as well.

Don't forget that just across the Rhine is the Black Forest, and along its foothills are many vineyards and picturesque towns and cities--Gengenbach and Freiburg are certainly worth a visit, as are the villages higher up in the hills.

It's a bit of a haul to drive from that area to Provence, but I would certainly consider Burgundy, especially the area between Beaune and Dijon. It will likely be harvest time there as well!

For routes and itineraries, I have always found those in the Michelin Green guides to be excellent.
Mar 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Obernai, Mont Sainte Odile, le Struthof (very sobering -- the only Nazi death camp located on French soil), Haut Koenigsbourg, Sélestat -- there are really tons of things to see in Alsace.

And of course Mulhouse is very famous for its museums, particularly the automobile museum and the train museum.

In two weeks, you should also visit Baccarat, the crystal capital of France, the wonderful cities of Nancy and Metz, the Black Forest in Germany, Basel, and once you're in Switzerland, it's only about an hour to Zürich. The whole area is really quite compact. I have sometimes found myself visiting 4 different countries on a 4 day trip. (But since I live in Europe, it is not as sinful as for a person with a limited time who won't be back for at least six months or a year.)
Mar 29th, 2008, 04:35 AM
ira

Hi B,

I suggest:

Fly into Munich - 2 nights,
Drive to Fuessen - 2 nights
--visit Neuchwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof
Drive the Romantic road to Rothenburg ob der Tauber - 2 nights
Drive to Strasbourg or other place in Alsace - 6 nights
Drive to Stuttgart for a night near the airport. Drop car
Fly home

Enjoy your visit.

Mar 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM
jay

Baden-Baden is about 90 min away as well. I would recommend a dat there for a nice relaxing spa day. As Kerouac said the Schlumpf car museum is a hoot. It has the largest collection of Bugattis in the world I believe. It is a fun place if you are into cars.