Search

Stow on the Wold Old Stocks Hotel or Windy Ridge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:54 AM
JCH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stow on the Wold Old Stocks Hotel or Windy Ridge

Has anyone stayed at either of these places? Going for two nights with my in-laws. They are elderly, so we're looking for a quiet and comfortable place for them to stay.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:21 AM
kdcwood

These two accommodations were discussed just in the past few days on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Old Stocks is right in the middle of Stow. (I've stayed there and posted about it.) Windy Ridge is out in the countryside near a very small village and looks just lovely.

Stow gets a fair amount of day tripper and tour bus traffic. It's a busy place during the day and the Old Stocks is right on the main square. You could easily walk to shops and restaurants.

I think it depends on the kind of environment you and your in-laws are looking for.

Kathy

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM
JCH
Original Poster

I did see your post. In fact that is where I got the names of the two places. I thought if I named them in a separate post, I might get some more first hand opinions. They both have vacancies. Did you find it noisy at night at all at Old Stocks? They do have the walk in shower for my mother in-law, which Windy Ridge does not. Are the beds comfortable?
I too thought the Windy Ridge looked very peaceful and inviting and we can always drive into town for the evening. Guess I just have to weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision! (they're even the same price!)
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
JCH
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:51 PM
kdcwood

Sorry for not responding back sooner...

We had a wonderful three-day stay at the Old Stocks. But I have to say that we were there over the Queen's Jubilee weekend, and one night there was a village party out on the square with live bands playing until almost midnight. We enjoyed the festivities (right below our window!), but it wasn't quiet. Normally, though, it's very quiet in the evening.

The hotel was a bit "worn" when we were there, but the people were extremely friendly and helpful and the location is great. And the prices are very reasonable, compared to what other hotels in Stow charge per night.

I don't know how set you are on Stow, but I have another place to recommend in Broadway: The Olive Branch Guest House. This is an eight-room guest house in a quiet part of Broadway... very comfortable and very hospitable. See their website here: http://www.theolivebranch-broadway.com/index.html and my review here http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/hotels/re...worcestershire. Broadway is farther north than Stow, but still a good base to explore this part of the Cotswolds.

Kathy

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:41 AM
JCH
Original Poster

Thanks Kathy. I did try the Olive Branch but they were full one of the nights we needed. We weren't set on Stow, but between vacancies and pricing, it is where we ended up. I think between the two we will be happy. If it was just my husband and myself it would be no big deal, but we have other considerations with my mother in law.(in terms of comfort,etc.)