Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stopover Town Between Munich and Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stopover-town-between-munich-and-paris-809307/)

eurotripper22 Oct 7th, 2009 10:48 AM

Stopover Town Between Munich and Paris

We are looking for a 1 night stopover between Munich and Paris. Will have a car - was thinking northern Black Forest or Strasbourg area. Wanted a smaller town and authentic, local smaller hotel. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DanM Oct 7th, 2009 11:51 AM

Colmar

Palenque Oct 7th, 2009 12:23 PM

Strasbourg itself is a very very neat town with lots to see and do. Colmar is a small-town gem. But is Strasbourg not a tad out of the way when motoring from Munich to Paris? But driving thru the Black Forest is great too and Freibourg is a fine town as well. Or into France a bit Nancy to me was really really sweet.

DanM Oct 8th, 2009 07:52 AM

I should have included Dijon too.

DanM Oct 8th, 2009 07:58 AM

It really would help if I looked at a map. Thionville near Metz has a good zoo that would make for a good stop if you have kids. Luxembourg is a good place to spend the night (either in the city or near one of the castles). It is so international that there is some wonderful food. If you are taking a full day to travel to where you want to spend the night and then a full day on to Paris, you could even work in a stop in Reims. I also agree that Nancy is a good place for a short visit.

rex Oct 8th, 2009 09:26 PM

Anywhere between Basel and Strasbourg (i.e., Alsace-Lorraine). Or Oberkirch, Germany (also near Strasbourg).

And just one opinion... but thumbs down on Luxembourg (I'm sure that there will be opinions contrary to this - - especially from those who have devoted more than 24 hours to get to know the country... which I have not ever done).

Best wishes,

Rex

DanM Oct 9th, 2009 01:25 PM

Just to stick up for Luxembourg - I have spent several weeks there. There is wonderful dining of all kinds. In Luxembourg City there is an interesting history museum, medieval fortifications, a nice small art museum, neat markets, a beautiful church, a beautiful cathedral, great parks and a palace. There is no trash, everything is well maintained, and a visitor will never feel safer. In the country-side there are some beautiful villages, two or three castles certainly worth a visit, an American Cemetery, vineyards, and wineries.

ira Oct 10th, 2009 04:01 AM

Hi ET,

See www.viamichelin for their suggested routing.

Strasbourg is your half-way point.

Is there a particular reason for going by car? A rental coould come with a very large drop off fee.

See www.bahn.de for train schedules - 39E pp day train, 6 hrs. Or take the night train.

((I))

USNR Oct 10th, 2009 04:57 AM

Any particular reason or need to have a car in Paris? Drop it off in Germany and save a bundle of money by taking the train into the center of Paris. And save your nerves and save a lot of time stuck in traffic. The savings on the car rental and the gas will more than pay for your rail ticket. Make day-trip excursions around and in Paris using public transportation -- and save yourself another bundle.