My husband and I driving from the Loire Valley (Amboise) to Avignon this September. We'd like to break up the 7-8 hour trip halfway and stay overnight. Michelin recommends the quickest route down to Clermont-Ferrand then east along A89 / E70 through to St Etienne.
Any recommendations for pretty towns to stay in? It looks like Thiers is about the halfway point. I've looked at the beautiful villages map (http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/) but no towns seem perfect in terms of scheduling...
It's our first time in France, so be gentle We don't really know what's around but I'm trying to research like crazy. This forum is great. Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 4 Which Area in London?
- 5 family trip to Germany and more
- 6 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 7 Trains - website?
- 8 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 9 Paris Apartment
- 10 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 11 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 14 Milan airport--which one
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 17 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 18 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 19 1st time to Europe
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 22 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 23 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 24 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 25 St, Goar or Bacharach
Stopover in Puy-de-Dôme area: driving from Loire Valley to Provence?