Stopover en route from Talloires to Cote d'Azur in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We will be staying in Talloires for two nights in late July and then going to Miramar on the Esterel coast for four nights. We have two nights in between. I am deciding where to stop. Some hotels I have researched Auberge de Choucas in Serre Chevalier, Villa Morelia in Jausiers, near Barcelonnette or Chalet Mounier in les Deux Alpes. Is anyone familiar with any of these or can anyone recommend a good hotel in these areas? Is there much to do and see in the summer here? Thanks for any info you can give me. Barb
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:02 PM

You might look at one of the hotels in Pérouge, or for a splurge stay at Georges Blanc in Vonnas. That's what we did, and it was fabulous. The town has an abundance of flowers, especially along the little waterway, and both the hotel and food are beyond excellent.

Then again, you could spent a very pleasant night at the Château d'Igé, which is not far off the Autoroute du Soleil once you get that far. Burgundy, of course, has much of interest to offer--Dijon, Autun (magnificent cathedral and medieval town; Roman ruins), Beaune. You could stay in Chablis at the Hostellerie du Clos for one night and then the second somewhere further down into southern Burgundy. That would make for a very nice trip and allow you to do a fair amount of sightseeing along the way.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Underhill. We have been to Burgundy and Perouges. We were thinking of the area near Briancon, but we don't know if it is worth 2 days. Have you spent any time in this area? Would you recommend it? Barb
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:11 PM

Sorry, we've not have the time to take that route. But it goes near the infamous Alpe d'Huez, and I remember seeing some magnificent scenery on last year's Tour de France telecasts. Some interesting-looking hotels, too, but the names are long gone.

When we drove south from Talloires I remember having difficulty in finding good hotels--it doesn't seem to be the area for them for some reason. However, Courvechel seems to be loaded with them; so that's one possibility.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Barb, close to Briancon, is Monetier-Les-Bains that has a lovely place the Auberge du Choucas

www.chateauxhotels.com/choucas
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
www.aubergeduchoucas.com
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cigalechanta. Auberge du Choucas looks lovely. Have you stayed there? How are their rooms and food? What is there to do in that area? Hiking I imagine. Is the scenery very beautiful and can you recommend any drives for us? Barb