Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stonehenge in Feb (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stonehenge-in-feb-677477/)

ba739 Feb 6th, 2007 07:46 PM

Stonehenge in Feb

Got a 4 days stay in London next week from Feb 15 - 19 and would like to see Stonehenge. Will it be cold at this of the year ? What is the best way to get there ? Train, Tour Compnay, Rental Car ? Thanks

janisj Feb 6th, 2007 08:59 PM

>>Will it be cold at this of the year ?<<

Probably - they are expecting snow this week - but by next week it could be warmer.

>>What is the best way to get there ? Train, Tour Compnay, Rental Car ?<<

What do you mean by "best"? Cheapest would be train to Salisbury and local bus from there to Stonehenge. You'd also have time for a nice tour of Salisbury Cathedral before taking the train back to London.

Easier but much more expensive (also more rushed) is a group coach tour from London. Most stop briefly in one other place -- like Windsor/Stonehenge/Salisbury, or Salisbury/Stonehenge/Bath. Several companies offer these types of tours.

owain Feb 6th, 2007 10:03 PM

Check the 10-day forecast for Salisbury at www.weather.com. Current reading is -4c...much warmer by the 15th. With rain.

firedrago Feb 6th, 2007 10:18 PM

feb's weather may still be a bit chilly. best way to get there? IMO, rental car. stopped by Salisbury

nona1 Feb 6th, 2007 11:23 PM

Nix to the car rental. It'll be a pain in the butt and neither quicker nor cheaper than the train.

alanRow Feb 7th, 2007 03:15 AM

By the time you've picked up the car, got out of London and reached Stonehenge you could have been & gone by public transport

See www.wdbus.co.uk/htm/ta/index.asp for buses to Stonehenge & (much better) Avebury

historytraveler Feb 7th, 2007 07:06 AM

If you have a full day I'd suggest the train to Salisbury as janisj mentioned and tour Salisbury Cathedral(the tour of the tower is excellent) along with the Close, then get a bus to Stonehenge and if the weather isn't too bad try to get over to Avebury. Many prefer it over Stonehenge. The Red Lion Pub there serves a decent Sticky Toffee Pudding and it's big enough to share.

ba739 Feb 12th, 2007 08:22 PM

From the 10 day weather forcast it will be shower everyday. Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I will just take the train to Salisbury and take the bus to Stonehenge.

bob_brown Feb 12th, 2007 09:38 PM

I suggest GoreTex, head to toe just in case. That weather over there is low on sun and high on clouds this time of the year.

Darkness still comes early, but the days are getting longer rather dramatically.

I think you will enjoy the cathedral in Salisbury as well as "The Stones."

I remember my second visit a few years ago. I abandoned the bus tour I was on because it was stopping long enough for a sniff. After looking as much as I wanted, I walked into Amesbury to take the bus to Salisbury and the train back to London.

While I was waiting for the bus, a local sat down next to me and said, "Been out to the Stones has ya?" "Yes." "What did yah think of 'em?" I assured him that I knew what to expect because this was my second visit. After taking a few swigs on his pint, he looked at me and said, "How'd yah get there?" I simply said, "I walked." He looked at me rather rather astonished and opined, "You Yanks aren't much for walking are you?" I assured him that the distance between Amesbury and the "Stones" was rather trivial for me. I don't think he quite believed me, so I told him that I had been known to backpack for 3 - 4 days at a stretch and walk 10 miles or so in a day.

Oh well, such is the stereotype of Americans. Don't like to walk, eat food smeared with ketchup, cannot drive manual shift cars, and drink weak beer.

tmt Feb 13th, 2007 04:09 AM

I am generally a rent a car person in Europe. I have not done it on the "wrong" side of the road - for the safety of others. :)

That said, we went on a day trip with a tour company to Stonehenge (don't remember the name of the company). We decided on using the tour company since we had only one day to do it - the first day we arrived from the US. It worked out well for us. We slept on the bus on the way out and stopped at the cliffs of dover, Salisbury and Bath. The nap helped and we had a great day.

The cons: we would have liked to spend more time at Stonehenge than the coach tour allowed. I would have rathered make only two stops and have spent more time at those - which I believe some other tours might do.

It was cold and windy that day and more so at Stonehenge.

audere_est_facere Feb 13th, 2007 05:18 AM

you went to Dover then Stonehenge then Bath? That's an insane trip.

janisj Feb 13th, 2007 06:45 AM

tmt - you must be confusing tours (at least I HOPE so). Didn't you meant Stonehenge, Salisbury and Bath??

Dover is all the way across the country -