Stockholm or Helsinki in November??

Old Sep 7th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockholm or Helsinki in November??

I am visiting Norway late November and am looking to extend my visit by a few days. My brother-in-law works for a major hotel chain and I can get a room in Stockholm or Helsinki at a rate that is ridiculously cheap.

Our itinerary is: Oslo for 2 days, Flam for one day, hop on a Northern Lights cruise in Bergen which ends at Kirkenes. I am staying in Kirkenes for a night and flying back to Oslo the following afternoon. With my brother-in-law's hotel benefit, I could easily grab a connection and add on a couple of days in Europe.

My question, what is better in late November, Helsinki or Stockholm? and what attractions should we make sure we do not miss.

NOTE: My husband has NEVER been to Europe before and I want to give him a trip of a lifetime. He is huge into WWII and naval history, I am into architecture.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM

I prefer Stockholm over Helsinki. There is more to do and see, for example the Vasa Museum. Architecture is prettier in Stockholm although Helsinki does have some interesting sights too.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 06:49 AM

IMHO Stockholm has about 3 times as much to see and do as Helskinki, from the Old Town ad the Royal Palace/changing of the guard to the Town Hall (Nobel prizes are given here) to a host of museums, esp the war ship Vasa and Skansen - the museum of traditional Swedish life (costumed docents exaplain traditional life and skills) with zoo. There are also a couple of day trips to old towns, some including viking remains.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM

Without going into details...go to Stockholm
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 09:16 AM

Stockholm...enough said.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 09:33 AM

If your husband is into WWII, don't miss the Norwegian Resistance Museum in Oslo. It is a great museum!
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Stockholm it is! Just needed confirmation that I was making the right choice. Looking forward to my trip.