Stockholm, must see places

Apr 7th, 1999, 08:29 AM
Dennis

Stockholm, must see places

I have a Scandinavian trip planned for early September, and will be spending 2 days in Stockholm.
Any suggestions for must see places or things to do? Nice places to eat, and entertainment.
What is the weather like in September, and around what time does it get dark?

Apr 7th, 1999, 07:34 PM
George

Dennis,
Don't miss the Vasa Museum. Also there is an outdoor Swedish Museum that you might enjoy.

Apr 7th, 1999, 07:40 PM
Rita-Anne

Stockholm is wonderful! I just returned from there 3/11. You must go to Gamla Stan (Old Town) and Djurgarden. The museums are friendly and "comfortable". Check out the Vasa Museet.It houses a war ship that sank on it's maiden voyage in the harbor! It's located on Djurgarden, as is the Nordiska Museet. The city is so "user-friendly". It is terribly easy to get around,and the people are kind and helpful!
Also, while you are there and if you like candy, get as much D'iam as you can!

Apr 8th, 1999, 07:51 AM
Denny

Dennis: We spent a week in Stockholm. Along with the above ideas, I also suggest the tour of Stockholm City Hall (location of Nobel Prize banquet) and climb the tower there for a fabulous view of the city. Visit the Skansen open-air museum; it incorporates early buildings of all kinds from all over Sweden. Take a boat trip. Good restaurants most everywhere. Just enjoy walking around, especially along the water. Enjoy!

Apr 8th, 1999, 11:22 PM
Joanna

Gamla Stan is an absolute "must" as is the Vasa Museum. The historical museum is also excellent, particularly the Viking gold section downstairs. There are some great eating places on Gamla Stan - I can't remember the names but one is located near the cathedral and you have to go down old stone steps inside a doorway. There are signs outside with prices - very reasonable. Would also recommend a 1/2 day trip to Drottningsholm Palace.

Apr 9th, 1999, 07:18 AM
Al

Only a short walk from the Vasa (absolute MUST) is Skansen, an outdoor museum of Swedish culture -- homes, farms, town squares, country residences -- all set within a park. Persons in native costumes tell you all about the buildings and the people who once lived in them. Don't speak Swedish? No problem. Everything is bi-lingual.

Apr 9th, 1999, 07:44 AM
B.Irving

When we were in Stockholm, we purchased a 3 day museum pass at the travel center in the train station. One of the places the pass allowed entrance to was a place that we had not seen mentioned in any of the travel guides. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was a summer palace of the royal family. You get there by walking along a country-like road on 1 of the islands(you also pass some good restaurants). Then you come upon this mansion over looking the water. Everything in this place is as it was in the 1800's, all original. There is no electricity in the place & it has limited hours of operation. When you take the tour, the guides have shoe covers that you need to put on, because you are walking on the original carpets & floors. It really is quite something to see. Not sure if it is open in early September, & with only 2 days for Stockholm, this type of thing may not be a top priority, but I enjoyed the whole experience of walking out there, touring the palace & the view around the palace.

Apr 17th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Dennis

Bringing to the top. Thanks for all your information.

May 17th, 1999, 08:27 PM
billie

Dennis,
Oh enjoy! I am going in September as well! I was there last August and every part of Stockholm is as charming as the next. Gamla Stan, City Hall, Skansen, the whole archipalego....there is so much to see, Gotland a small island off the coast is magnificient..the early Vikings traveled through there and you can feel them with every step, It is absolutely beautiful.
As to the darkness, I am not sure. It will be lighter then that it is in the states however. Last August we had to wait for the fireworks at the water festival until 11 PM. Great country! Very friendly, public transportation is superb!

May 17th, 1999, 10:07 PM
Mike

My favorites..The Wasa and the Changing of the Guard!!

Aug 9th, 1999, 12:48 AM
Dennis

Count down.... 4 weeks until we leave.
Anymore wonderful advise on must see places. What has the weather been like this year?

Thank you everyone.

Aug 17th, 1999, 07:40 AM
Martin Henriksson

Hi Dennis,
Stockholm is great in September but the summer is gone and autumn has come. I can recommend a couple of restaurants.

Grand Hotel, Franska Matsalen, one of the better restaurants in Stockholm, a bit expensive. Address Blasieholmen 8.

Pontus in the Green House, great seafood, also a bit expensive, located in Old Town. Address Osterlanggatan 17.

Restaurant Greitz, Swedish food. Address Vasagatan 50.

Svenska Pizza Koket. The pizzas are very special and tasty. Address Tulegatan 21

If you want more information and want to know what is happening in Stockholm I would recommend CitiKey, the world’s first mobile city guide. CitiKey contains maps, dining recommendations, an event guide and much more. A hand computer with CitiKey pre-loaded can be rented at the main tourist office in Stockholm, the Sweden House, Hamngatan 27 or if you have a your own handheld computer, using windows CE, you can download CitiKey over Internet for free. More information about CitiKey and instructions on how to download CitiKey can be found at http://www.citikey.com