Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stockholm hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stockholm-hotel-296622/)

Peep Mar 11th, 2003 06:27 AM

Stockholm hotel?

Hello! Can you recommend a hotel in Stockholm? We'd like to keep it under 125 euros or so per night for a double, centrally located. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get from the airport into town? We'll be arriving around 10pm so I don't want to waste too much time waiting on buses or whatever. And, what should we not miss? We'll be there for 3 days at the end of May. Thanks for your input!

mamacrow Mar 11th, 2003 02:59 PM

Okay, Going thru old questions, saw yours and had to respond. Stay at the Grand Hotel. It is probably not in your requested price range but it is so fabulous it would be worth every penny. I stayed there years ago on a business trip and it is so embedded in my head, it made my Swedish experience.<BR><BR>Everything you do there will be memorable. I enjoyed the Vasa Museet and the bus tour of the city. <BR>Also, you must sing the Sedish National Hymn while you enjoy a shot of Absolut!<BR><BR>Halan Gar Sjung Hopp Faderallan Lallan lej Helan Gar<BR>Sjung Hopp Faderalllan lej A han som inte Helan tar .....<BR><BR>In English:<BR>this is how it sounds anyway...<BR>Hell and Gore<BR>Chunk Hope father allan lai and lei<BR>Hell and Gore<BR>Chunk hope father allan lai and lei<BR>Oh handsome in the hell and tar<BR>and hell are in the half and four<BR>Hell and Gooooooooooooooore....<BR>(here you drink)<BR>chunk hope father allan lei!<BR><BR>Great memories.

Peep Mar 15th, 2003 12:39 AM

Has anyone stayed at the Queen's Hotel or Gustav Vasa Hotel? They both seem centrally located and reasonably priced. Thanks!

judyg Apr 19th, 2003 11:20 AM

Dont recommend staying at the Queens Hotel. We were going to stay there but then we heard through someone in Stockholm that the hotel was on the local news of having &quot;mold&quot; problems so we changed to the Royal Viking. It's a bit more...but supposed to be much nicer. We are going this May.

Peep May 19th, 2003 01:49 AM

Just another week until our trip! We'll be in Stockholm for 4 days. Any recommendations on what to see and where to dine? Thanks!

Peep Jun 5th, 2003 03:35 AM

Just back from Stockholm. We spent the first night at the Gustav Vasa Hotel. Disappointed! They had a special offer for 800SK for the holiday weekend, instead of their usual price of 1200SK for a double. At least it was cheap. We must've gotten the worst room in the place. Our room was TINY, cramped with furniture, had a view of garbage dumpsters, lopsided bed and the bathroom was so small that there wasn't room for a shower so the shower head was just mounted on the wall next to the sink. Oh yeah, and the plastic toilet seat was broken. The next day we passed by some open rooms and they looked better so we asked if we could move to a bigger room. The clerk implied that we could and told us to pack our stuff and during the day they'd move us to another room. So we packed everything back up and hauled it back downstairs only to be told, sorry! You can't move after all. So we decided to move to another hotel. The first one we found was the Bentley Hotel on Drottinggatan. It was 1049SK and much much nicer.

OKViking Jul 23rd, 2003 08:40 AM

We also stayed in the Gustav Vasa this summer... I agree- very small rooms, but comfy beds and rather charming, and the location is good- in Ostermalm and close to the train station - 1-2 stops to downtown. Breakfast is good. Parking is a negative- extra charge and about 2-3 blocks away. We spent an extra night at the Foresta Hotel- further out from the city, up on the hill, a short walk from the beautiful Millesgarden. Very nice, spacious rooms and bathrooms and a great view of the water! That would be our choice when we go back- even though it took a bit longer to get into the city- city bus then train.