Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stockholm Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stockholm-hotel-1667062/)

lolfn May 15th, 2019 04:41 AM

Stockholm Hotel

I will be in Stockholm in early fall with my sister, our 82 yo mom and her 65yo cousin. Their grandparents came to the US from Sweden and this will be their first trip to the country. We will spend 4 nights in Stockholm and will do the usual tourist sites/activities. My mom's quite spry for her age but no longer prefers to walk miles and miles touring a city. When I originally came up for a budget for the trip, I put in $250/night for a hotel in Stockholm but am considering some higher priced places now. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on if they are worth going up a bit in price.

Considering:
Radisson Blu Waterfront $202/night, location isn't ideal but not terrible. Value can't be beat though.
Lydmar Hotel $323/night
Radisson Collection Strand Hotel, $269/night
Hotel Diplomat, $341

Cheaper than the last 3 above, I also considered Hotel Esplanade but some reviews said no elevator which scared me, First Reisen but some reviews of very cramped rooms turned me off, Berns but recent reviews says it needs updating and Downtown Camper which I think is too hip for our crowd and the rooms might be too cramped.

A great included breakfast is something I'm looking forward to and some people said the Lydmar's is basic and it is unclear if it is a buffet or not. Any insight?

Which would you choose? Any others I should look at?

Odin May 15th, 2019 01:29 PM

I can only make comments about the locations as I've not stayed in any of these hotels, The Diplomat is in probably the best location, the Lydmar and Radisson Strand as well. Although the Radisson Blu Waterfront might seem like not the best location, I find it convenient as it is close to central station but then with an 82 year old and a 65 year old in tow it might mean too much walking.
In the hotels I have stayed in Stockholm, breakfasts have always been buffets.Some are basic, in the usual Scandinavian minimalist way. I've found the breakfast at the Sheraton quite good and the location is convenient too.

lolfn May 16th, 2019 04:07 PM

Thanks for the input, Odin. In case anyone reads this looking at Lydmar, I did look into the breakfast further and it includes a basic Scandinavian buffet plus you can order off the a la carte menu. That is why the reviews were confusing me.

I have reserved rooms at both Hotel Diplomat and Bank Hotel which opened last fall and is getting stellar reviews. And $30 cheaper/night. But the Diplomat has that beautiful location. I'll send links to my mom and leave decision up to her.

thursdaysd May 16th, 2019 04:33 PM

I stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal Viking, using public transport. I found it convenient once I located the bus stop (up a level!) but I was in reasonable shape at the time.

menachem May 16th, 2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by lolfn (Post 16920553)
Thanks for the input, Odin. In case anyone reads this looking at Lydmar, I did look into the breakfast further and it includes a basic Scandinavian buffet plus you can order off the a la carte menu. That is why the reviews were confusing me.

I have reserved rooms at both Hotel Diplomat and Bank Hotel which opened last fall and is getting stellar reviews. And $30 cheaper/night. But the Diplomat has that beautiful location. I'll send links to my mom and leave decision up to her.

Both are excellent, Diplomat would be my (slight) preference. The hotelbar at Diplomat is pretty good. And that gorgeous location of course.

ticino May 17th, 2019 03:37 AM

I walk past the Diplomat and the Bank on my way to work. Location-wise I'd say they are the same unless you get a room at the Diplomat facing the water. If you walk 50 meters towards Raoul Wallenberg torg from the Bank you'll actually have a nicer view of Strandvägen than when you step out of the Diplomat.

I think it's a good idea to have your mom look at the pictures and let her decide, the styles are quite different. The Bank seems to attract a younger crowd as lots of influencers have written about it. I sometimes have breakfast at the Diplomat (at Butiken) and I see people of all ages.

I'd never consider the Waterfront because of its location. The Radisson is better located but is quite basic. Given that Sweden is special to your family I think the hotels you have booked are much better.

lolfn May 17th, 2019 05:37 AM

Thank you menachem and ticino. I really appreciate the insight.

Given that this was the photo on the booking confirmation email from the Bank, I assumed that my mom and her cousin were not their target customer, ha!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...334dc80b6d.jpg