Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stockholm help pl (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stockholm-help-pl-618959/)

hobbes May 27th, 2006 04:49 PM

Stockholm help pl

We are planning a 3-4 day trip to Stockholm in June - hopefully to coincide with the Northern Lights. I wanted some advice on not to be missed experiences, restaurants, shops from those who have been - while going thru the archives I noticed that most people who have visited are passionate about what a beautiful (and under rated) city it is so I am hoping for some specific info! Thanks.

crefloors May 27th, 2006 05:37 PM

I was there this last Dec./Jan. One of my favorite places was the Vasa Museum. Even my museum hating brother loved it. The thing that is really significant about the ship..the Vasa..is it's the only 17th century ship that is preserved and available for viewing. The Baltic is very brackish and very cold so organisms that usually will destroy wood in other waters don't live in the Baltic Sea so the Vasa was very well preserved. It's pretty amazing to see it. I don't want to tell you everything about it because then you wouldn't have as much to learn at the Museum. Gamla Stan is the old town. That's where I stayed and it was great for strolling. Lots of shops, but also the Palace is there and the Stockholm Cathedral which dates from the 12th century. There is the most amazing sculpture of St. George and the Dragon in that church. There also is a park called Skansen. I didn't go there...it was just too cold..a sweltering 19 degrees for the high on several days, but my neice has been there and she really liked it. It is a depiction of very old houses and illustrates the way people lived many hundreds of years ago. There are also crafts people demonstrating their skills and their goods are for sale. If I ever get back there in the warmer weather I will make it a point to go there. I also understand that the Grand Hotel has a wonderful "borgesmorg". My neice ate there a few years ago and we tried to make reservations but they were closed until February, so that was a disappointment. There is a shop called Tompte and Troll in Old Town. I can't remember the address but they have the neatest hand made Tomptees and Trolls..hence the name. Tomptees are little forest people that bring good luck. You'll see them all over. To me the cutest ones are the ones that all you can see is there little round nose. The pointed hat and hair covers the rest of their face. I think my sister-in-law found it in a tourist map or magazine. I'm sure someone would know if you are interested. I got several Tomptees and have them in different rooms in the house..too fun. I was only there for five days so there is a lot we didn't get to do. Oh, if you are a meat eater and can get a good recommendation, you must try the reindeer. It is really delicious. Tried Elk also, but was not so fond of that. Enjoy your visit. Oh my...one more thing..how could I forget. The Nobel Museum...also on Gamla Stan, right by the Palace and the Cathedral..it was very interesting. They had short films about all the various Nobel prize winners...some of course I was familiar with and others not. Nobel was quite a fellow..traveled and had businesses all over the world including the US and South America. Very interesting place to spend a little time.

hobbes May 28th, 2006 03:15 AM

Thanks crefloors, those are fab tips, exactly what I'd been hoping for. I'd already planned to go to the Vasa as I know some of the history. The handmade tomptees and trolls sound fabulos, I am going to google the shop and maybe I will find my one keepsake xmas tree ornament there (collect from my travels so our annual tree dressing is a trip down memory lane of trips). We are likely to be there for Northern lights - I'd be interested in feedback from someone re what closes down during this period. I know most shops do. Are restaurants, cafes, museums open?

elina May 28th, 2006 03:31 AM

Just curious: Is this Northern Lights some kind of festival?

blackduff May 28th, 2006 03:41 AM

Elina
Take a look at google for "aurea borealis" and it will explain this works.

It's very common in the US too. I lived in Sweden for ten years and never found it, so this June might be a lucky view.

In any case, it's necessary to be dark and Sweden in summer is short of night. Maybe it will function but the dark night helps seeing what's passing.

Blackduff

elina May 28th, 2006 04:13 AM

That is why I asked, I suspected a little that hobbes might mean the Aurora. I just wanted to make sure that there is not a festival called Northern Lights, because it sure is impossible to see Aurora in June.

I see them most winters, but not every winter, and I live further north than Stockholm. Above the Arctic Circle is best, but it has to be dark, and right now the night really does not come at all. And June is even lighter, midnight sun time, not northern lights time.

hobbes May 28th, 2006 06:41 AM

Sorry! Sorry! Meant Midsummer's Weekend. Does most of Stockholm close down during that weekend?

crefloors Jun 3rd, 2006 09:18 AM

ttt

valtor Jun 3rd, 2006 10:57 AM

We loved Stockholm, first of all because its layout. So many small islands!

I would like to recommed to visit the statues park of Carl Milles. Many of his statues are in USA and in many countries of Europe. All his statues are so elegant, in moving !

Also, try to visit the city hall, which is one of the most beautiful in Europe.

hobbes Jun 3rd, 2006 07:58 PM

Thanks Valtor, put both those on my list!

elina Jun 4th, 2006 04:01 AM

I think you should visit Skansenīs traditional Midsummer celebrations:

http://www.skansen.se/pages/?ID=221

isabel Jun 4th, 2006 04:16 AM

valtor - can you explain how to get to the Carl Milles museum? My guide book makes it sound pretty complicated (couple different buses/subways?). How long does it take from downtown Stockholm? Thanks

sprin2 Jun 4th, 2006 04:17 AM

valtor, I second your suggestion for Millesgarden. The museum is Carl Milles home and workshop and it is in a glorious location perched on a cliff. The sculptures are arranged outside and it was a highlight of our trip last summer.

We spent 3 weeks outside Stockholm last summer and our trip report is http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....rin2+stockholm

valtor Jun 4th, 2006 04:59 AM

I was there ten years ago, by taxi. I found now in internet some info for you, and also an email address, so you can contact them for details:

Opening hours: Tuesday - Sunday 12pm - 5pm
Thursdays until 8pm

Visiting address:
Herserudsvägen 32, Lidingö

Switchboard: +46 8 446 75 90
Info: +46 8 446 75 94

e-mail: [email protected]

Public transport
Subway to Ropsten and then bus to Torsvik (one stop) or The Lidingö Train to Baggeby (two stops).

From Torsvik and Baggeby there is only a short walk to Millesgården(approx. 300 m). Follow the signs.

There are also a possibility to take directbus 207 to Millesgården. Departure times from Ropsten at 09.52 am, 10.52 am, 11.52 am and 12.52 pm.

More information on how to get to us is available in the bus and train terminals at Ropsten. The information signs is placed in conjunction with information from SL (Stockholms Lokaltrafik).

By car
Free parking on Herserudsvägen 32.

I hope that this helps. We consider this museum a highlight of our trip in Scandinavia.

hobbes Jun 4th, 2006 04:29 PM

Thank u Valtor, Carl Miilles museum and directions on getting there on my list! Elina, would you suggest doing Skansen on Friday eve ie. Midsummers eve? I am asking again coz it costs 100 kroner that particular day but we are willing to spend that if it is really a treat.

crefloors Jun 4th, 2006 05:51 PM

If the kroner is still about 8 something to the dollar, it's only about 11 or 12.00 to get in..so not too bad actually. Me neice really liked Skansen. Oh, and the little shop is Tomptar & Troll...they make Tompte's..LOL They have one of the ones I got on their website...he's hanging on a cord with bells..I have him on my back door..inside of course. I love him..he's too cute.

Midnightsun Jun 4th, 2006 06:33 PM

Hobbes: I have been to Stockholm many times; it is a wonderful city. In response to your question about Midsummer weekend closings, you should be aware that much of the city does shut down for the holiday. I was there over Midsummer's weekend in 2002. I had done Midsummer's weekend in the Swedish countryside, and I thought it might be fun to experience it in town. I'll have to say it was about the quietest I have ever seen a big city on a weekend. The celebrations at Skansen were fun; I spent most of Midsummer's Eve in the park, but there wasn't too much going on in the city. Many of the restaurants were closed, and at one of the few open ones in Gamla Stan, Diana, one of the waiters told me that on Midsummer's weekend everyone heads off to the archipelago to drink beer and eat herring. So, if you're looking for a lively time, head off to the Dalarna region around Falun or maybe go west on Lake Malaren to Mariefred (that's where my wife and I will be spending Midsummer weekend this year). However, if you want an undisturbed weekend to enjoy thye beauty of Styockholm without crowds, you will no doubt have it that way June 23-24-25. If it's open, try Flyt (a bar on a boat off Gamla Stan) off Munkbroladen for a beer. Glad Midsommar!

elina Jun 5th, 2006 12:22 AM

Definitely Midsummer Eve, that is when the actual celebration is.

hobbes Jun 5th, 2006 04:18 AM

Thank u Midnight Sun and Elina - Friday is now chalked out for us, we will spend it at Skansen. We are flying back to Asia on Saturday so no option to get out of Stockholm. I must ensure I do my H&M stop on Thurs if it will be closed Fri & Sat. Any particular H&M which is biggest & best? (I love the brand and it is not in Asia)

Midnightsun Jun 5th, 2006 11:29 AM

hobbes: I believe the best location of H&M for you will be on Norrmalm, the main shopping street in the heart of downtown. You'll find NK and Åhlens in the vicinty as well. I'm sure you'll be happy with Skansen, as there is quite a bit to do even apart from the festivities. Be prepared to see young women, older women, guys, and even dogs wearing flower garlands.