Stockholm Archipelago tour choices

Jul 12th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Stockholm Archipelago tour choices

We have about 2 3/4 days after our cruise to tour. We really wanted to do the 8 hour arch tour, but we are there only in early September and that one is not offered. We plan to take the cruise and tour to Drottningholm Palace so that leaves us with a couple choices for the Arch. There is the 3 hour little arch tour, the 3 hour lunch tour, and the 5 hour dinner tour, and also the under the bridges tour. So here are my questions if you might be able to help.
1, Is the under the bridges tour worth while if you are doing the arch and drottningholm tours?
2. Is a lunch or dinner cruise of the Arch more efficient than just the Arch cruise?
3. If we do the little arch tour, considering weather, is it better in the morning at 10am or 1:30pm (only options).
4. The little arch tour goes only as far as short of Vaxholm. The dinner cruise goes all the way to Malo leaving Stockholm at 5:30. Would the dinner cruise be a better choice?
Any help would be appreciated, there are so many options.
Thanks, Regards, Mary Ann
Jul 12th, 2014, 05:07 PM
kja

I don't think my answer will be all that helpful, but FWIW, I would think that one key consideration would be the time of sunset: Do you want to be on the water at or after sunset? (I wasn't on the water then, but can imagine it being very pleasant. But I wouldn't have wanted ALL of my cruise to be after dark -- a lot of the lovely islets of the archipelago are not occupied, or have only rare or intermittent residents, and I would have hated to pass them in the dark!)

Another key consideration: How will meal service affect your experience? Will it "distract" you from the experiences you hope to have, or will it provide another layer that enriches the experience? (I have no answer -- just raise it for your consideration.)

I took a 3 hour, daylight boat ride through the archipelago and loved every minute. I can't say whether I would have been happier with a longer ride or not.

"We have about 2 3/4 days after our cruise to tour. We really wanted to do the 8 hour arch tour, but we are there only in early September and that one is not offered" -- There is SO much to see and do in Stockholm that you might end up being glad!

Stockholm is lovely -- enjoy!
Jul 12th, 2014, 05:39 PM

Separate from any tour, take the public ferry out to Fjäderholmarna , an island 30 min away, in the archipelago and have lunch there. The ferry leaves from Central Stockholm.
Jul 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I really had not thought about sunset with it being that part of the world that the sun sets late. However, just looked at the time zones and there is 2 hours difference to St Petes, so the sun is setting about 7:40 so that really eliminates the 5 hour tour. Will now revisit the itinerary.
Again, thanks for your help.
Mary Ann

Search this Thread