Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stockholm and Copenhagen: what are must-sees? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stockholm-and-copenhagen-what-are-must-sees-95004/)

Jay Vanasco Nov 28th, 2000 06:57 AM

Stockholm and Copenhagen: what are must-sees?

I'm going on a quick junket to Stockholm and Copenhagen--I have only 2 days in each city, and only one afternoon free in both. What should I not miss? What restaurants should I have lunch in?

Art Nov 28th, 2000 07:43 AM

Hi Jay, in Copenhagen the Tiviley(sp) gardens would be a must see. <BR>

Maggie Nov 28th, 2000 08:40 AM

In both cities if you have the time take a boat tour----lots of water in both places and it gives you a good perspective. In Stockholm, the Old Town is interesting and has many good restaurants. Also, see the Vasa museum if you have time. In Copenhagen we stayed in Nyvahn and liked that area a lot. again, lots of good little reastaurants. Both cities are very walkable. Enjoy.

lola Nov 28th, 2000 08:42 AM

Don't miss the city halls in either place. These are the equivalent of modern cathedrals, architecturally.

Bill Nov 28th, 2000 10:09 AM

I very much second the Vasa Museum in Stockholm & boat trips in both cities. Also in Stockholm, the Palace & strolling thru Gamla Stan(sp), the old town, is worth it. In Copenhagen, the Nyhaven area has some good cafes for lunch. The Tivoli Gardens are best at night, & there are a number of restaurants that my be good for dinner. But, depending upon what time of year you are going, Tivoli may not be open.

ilisa Nov 28th, 2000 10:35 AM

Are you going in the next few weeks? Tivoli should be open for its Christmas market. In Copenhagen, take a walk up Stroget which is the longest pedestrian street in Europe. I also agree with the suggestion to check out Nyhavn for some excellent dining options.

Angela Nov 28th, 2000 04:57 PM

I would very much agree with (In Stockholm) the Gamla Stan (Old city) and the Vasa Museum. Also I really enjoyed Skansen (the Swedish Folk museum), for a taste of how Sweden used to be. This has a great craft fayre and christmas market in December. Many days during the year craftsmen are working at Skansen and you can watch them at work and buy the items they make, ie ceramics, bakery goods, cards and stationary. Also I enjoyed the Nordic Museum, for a great potted history on the Scandinavian peoples and their history. Stockholm is a city of many islands, its setting is wonderful and a great place to stroll around. Personally I didn't enjoy Copenhagen as much but I didn't really have enough time there to truly explore it. I loved other Danish cities, for example Odense, the Danish countryside, the castles, ect. I found the people, Swedes and Danes friendly and helpful. Take plenty of spending money. <BR>Angela

Bjorn Alvik Dec 11th, 2000 11:14 PM

Try this one for lunch in Copenhagen: <BR>Hos Gitte Kik <BR>Fortunstrede 4, Tel: 33 11 15 37 <BR>Marvellous open sandwiches, really fine atmosphere, might get crowded. Close to Hoibro Plads. <BR>Bjorn, Norway <BR>