Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   STILLcan't get reservations for Borgese Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stillcant-get-reservations-for-borgese-rome-736910/)

anne5o57 Sep 16th, 2007 04:44 PM

STILLcan't get reservations for Borgese Rome

We have been trying for ages to get reservations to the Borgese gallery in Rome - realise that they are not available until one month before but we contacted then a few weeks ago and they replied that we could reserve on the 15th of this month for later in October but we still cannot do this. Getting a bit worried as this is the main reason we are going to Rome this time and we will only be there two days.

Pausanias Sep 16th, 2007 04:54 PM

You could call Secretary Rice and have her threaten war . . . or you could wait until tomorrow and try again.

roadlesstraveled Sep 16th, 2007 05:04 PM

Keep trying anne. Sometimes their system is not working properly. I visited the Borgese in April and wasn't able to make a reservation until right before I left. The Borgese is absolutely wonderful.

anne5o57 Sep 16th, 2007 05:18 PM

Thanks Pausania - we will obviously keep trying, think the museum is closed Mondays, as we are Australians time difference does have some effect. Don;t need to call Secretary Rice to threaten war - our little George Bush-loving Prime Minister could do that himself!

msbeavers Sep 16th, 2007 05:27 PM

my rome contact indicates it will be closed Oct 8 thru 12th to set up a new exhibit.... I am very disappointed....

Jean Sep 16th, 2007 06:06 PM

Have you asked your hotel to make reservations for you? I'm sure they would be happy to do so.

cruiseluv Sep 16th, 2007 08:28 PM

I love how politics creep into these messages.

chiarachiara Sep 16th, 2007 09:35 PM

I also wanted to suggest you ask your hotel to make reservations. Ours did it and mailed us the Reservation number.

thegilbeys Sep 17th, 2007 02:39 AM

Do we really need reservations for the Borghese Gallery? We thought we might spend a whole morning or afternoon (or entire day!) in the gardens and we'd just catch the tour that had a spot. Is this unrealisitic?

Jean Sep 17th, 2007 09:06 AM

thegilbeys: Unrealistic. You need a reservation.

kayd Sep 17th, 2007 10:45 AM

Anne: have you tried phoning the Borghese reservations line? It is answered in Italian (of course) but if you press 2, you'll get the English-speaking operator ("uno per Italiano, due per Inglese"). Italy daytime hours only, so you'd need to do it at an odd time for Aussies, but I think you get better service than through the website.

ljc4creb Sep 17th, 2007 10:48 AM

I had the same problem but after trying so many times, I took someone's suggestion here and emailed my hotel to do it. They emailed back within the hour and gave me the reservation number and instructions/directions. Too bad everything isn't that easy.

kfusto Sep 17th, 2007 12:45 PM

I have always booked through my hotel as I do for all museums. It is easy, fast and I have never been disappointed.

PeggyE Sep 17th, 2007 02:22 PM

The Borghese was the only museum we could not get into last Sept, eve with our hotel helping. Good luck!

cousin Sep 17th, 2007 05:34 PM

I finally secured a reservation by emailing Ticketeria with my time and date request. They responded promptly with a reservation number for our visit. I gave up waiting on their websight to post October dates as we're leaving for Europe tomorrow.

jencal Sep 17th, 2007 06:21 PM

I booked our reservations through Context Rome. They confirmed within 24 hours. GL

anne5o57 Sep 19th, 2007 03:00 AM

Thanks to all who have tried to help with this problem - latest update - we tried emailing our hotel to ask if they could reserve tickets but they replied that they were unable to do so, my husband tried Ticketaria again with a copy of their previous email which stated we would be able to get reservations on 15th Sept, they have now replied that no tickets may be booked through their site until Sept 25th. Hopeless - what is the point of them having a ticket selling site when they do not do any updates? My husband has now tried to buy tickets through another site but we have not yet had any reply so it looks like we will probably not be going to the Borghese museum.

amyb Sep 19th, 2007 05:33 AM

Anne, try ContextRome.com. I booked a Borghese tour with them for one of the days I am in Rome in November. If you really can't wait for the Ticketeria site to update, this is a reasonable way to go about it, and I have heard wonderful things about the tour itself.

kayd Sep 19th, 2007 05:38 AM

Do not consider it hopeless.
Again, I recommend you try the telephone (if you have not already done so), using the number from the official Borghese website.
http://www.ticketeria.it/contact_us-down-eng.html

Pausanias Sep 19th, 2007 05:38 AM

I wouldn't give up hope -- remember everyone else is having the same problem. Try again on the 25th and the 26th. You could try the hotel concierge on those dates too. Lastly, you can just show up early and try stand-by. People are always cancelling or simply not showing up, or large groups become smaller. You ask the seller if there is anyting available. He says no and takes your name. With luck, a few minutes later he calls you over and sells you a ticket. Happened to me in February, an embarrassing story.