Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Still not sure how we're arriving from Heathrow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/still-not-sure-how-were-arriving-from-heathrow-308642/)

missmissy Feb 20th, 2008 06:24 PM

Still not sure how we're arriving from Heathrow

None of the car services I've emailed have replied. I'm about to just say, "OK, Heathrow Express it is!" We arrive on a weekday at 6:20 a.m. and we'd need to tube to Victoria then it'd be a short taxi to our hotel. I worry about being jet-lagged and taking the tube during rush hour. Does anyone know of any promotional discount codes for Heathrow Express??? Any other ideas? I'd like to save money, but it'd also be nice to make the commute as easy as possible. Thanks :) Missy

bettyk Feb 20th, 2008 06:31 PM

Don't know who you have contacted, but have you tried Justairports? They are highly recommended here on Fodors.

http://www.justairports.com/index.htm

janisj Feb 20th, 2008 07:13 PM

The HEX doesn't usually do discount codes

OK - you want to hear from a car service. They haven't answered your e-mail. Okay -- there is this thing called a telephone. (E-mails get lost, servers go down, whatever). If you are anxious - phone them.

blightyboy Feb 20th, 2008 07:21 PM

suggest you call them

missmissy Feb 20th, 2008 07:22 PM

no luck via phone or email with justairports. Not in panic mode. Thanks anyway. Missy

traveller69 Feb 20th, 2008 07:34 PM

I used this website. You can book directly online and get a confirmation http://www.premierairportcars.com/index.php

janisj Feb 20th, 2008 08:10 PM

what does "no luck via phone" mean?

The call didn't go through because the line is disconnected? - or - you called outside of office hours? - or - you called the "inside UK" number instead of the "from outside of the UK" number? - or ??

their phone # is 011-44 20 8900 1666
their fax # is 011-44 20 8902 6022

nona1 Feb 21st, 2008 02:33 AM

Or if you want to use the tube have breakfast first at the airport and your timings should be fine re rush hour.

caroline_edinburgh Feb 21st, 2008 03:20 AM

Where are you staying ? Have you already established the best route by public transport ? I'm confused by you mentioning tube and Heathrow Express - are you thinking Heathrow Express + tube + taxi ?

PatrickLondon Feb 21st, 2008 04:43 AM

Heathrow Express is about the worst option for Victoria. The public transport option is:

1) Tube to Hammersmith

2) Walk five steps across the platform and take the eastbound District Line to Victoria.

Depending on how long it takes to get out of immigration, it's not impossible that the District Line will be filling up by the time you get to Hammersmith, and getting out of Victoria will be a bit of a scrum - you're not going to avoid stairs. But you could reduce some of the stress by taking your time at the airport, as nona1 suggests.

janisj Feb 21st, 2008 07:29 AM

I absolutely agree that the HEX makes the absolute least sense to get to Victoria.

The tube would be easy-ish w/ no steps until you get to Victoria.

A car service will cost quite a bit more but be door-to-door

The HEX/taxi would involve walking/queueing and cost much more than a car service.

the HEX/tube will take longer and involve walking/stairs

missmissy Feb 21st, 2008 04:42 PM

I'm liking Nona's suggestion to have breakfast and chill a bit at Heathrow and then tube it to Victoria. We're staying at the Jolly St Ermin's close to Victoria. I agree that HEX doesn't make much sense given the need to then taxi from Paddington.

We arrive at 6:20 a.m. and will have to go thru customs, get our luggage, etc. How much time do we need to "kill" at Heathrow to avoid the tube rush hour?

PS no luck via phone means no one answered and I do understand time differences and codes. :) So, who knows.

Margo_Chester Feb 21st, 2008 04:51 PM

We used the tube from LHR into London and it was very easy, personally I was glad we hadn't bothered with a car service. I tried getting in touch with Just Airports too and phone calls (yes janis we too realized there was a time difference) and emails went unanswered. If we had been traveling with small children or a lot of luggage I might have chosen another option, but for 2 couples the tube was a breeze.

WillTravel Feb 21st, 2008 04:54 PM

I think the rush hour concern is exaggerated. When you get on at Heathrow, it's to an empty car.

If the Hammersmith station and the tube cars looked extraordinarily full, then you could take a taxi.

But I'm sure you would be fine.

janisj Feb 21st, 2008 05:51 PM

WillTravel is correct - there is no rush hour traffic to worry about at least while on the Piccadilly line since you'll get on at the first station. Few people and plenty of seats. Then when you get to Hammersmith - if the next couple of District line trains look too crowded - just go to the street and hail a cab.

KayF Feb 22nd, 2008 01:28 AM

I agree with getting the tube, it's going to be the cheapest way and it's not hard. Plan out which tube lines you need before you leave home, there are tube maps online. Just try to keep out of commuters way as far as possible, keep your luggage against a wall or something instead of in the way of people getting on and off the tube for work. We did it, in peak hour, with heavy cases and it was fine. Don't know why all the fuss.

One tip, when you know your station is the next one, gather all your stuff and be ready to get off. There are maps in each carriage so you can follow your progress and watch for your stop. Have fun!
Kay

PatrickLondon Feb 22nd, 2008 02:44 AM

For the St Ermins, you'd best go one stop beyond Victoria to St James's Park. It's much closer to the hotel, and the exits are less confusing. There will still be stairs, however.

wasleys Feb 22nd, 2008 02:52 AM

The Jolly St Ermins is just round the corner from St James's Park Station (stop after Victoria). I'd be inclined to walk from there if using the Underground.

wasleys Feb 22nd, 2008 02:59 AM

Didn't see PL's post as I was delayed in posting.

St James's will also be a lot quieter to alight at.

missmissy Feb 22nd, 2008 02:49 PM

Great! Thank you all so much! We'll be tubing it to St James. Problem solved! :) Missy