Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Still disinfecting? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/still-disinfecting-127970/)

Danny Jun 4th, 2001 07:32 AM

Still disinfecting?

I was curious to see if any of the European countries and the U.S. are still disinfecting travelers when arriving? Has anyone recntly been in the U.K. or the continent..., were you "disinfected" due to Hoof and Mouth? What about upon arriving in the U.S.??? <BR>

MarySue Jun 4th, 2001 07:59 AM

Just back from Scotland. We were disinfected at a few rural attractions but not at the airport there or here. Two places that we tried to visit were closed and the southern part of the country has been much more affected than the northern part. Empty pastures everywhere in the south and lots of signs posted. Most of the places we stayed said that their occupancy was down 50% so far this year because of it.

frank Jun 5th, 2001 03:41 AM

Just back from the Hebrides - flew from Glasgow to Benbecula, had to remove the wheels from the bicycles at Glasgow which had to be deflated before going into some weird disinfection machine.Disinfectant mats at Benbecula airport, after that no restrictions on access anywhere. <BR>At the moment the Hebrideans seem more worried about the new hedgehog menace - hedgehog fences are being erected on the causeways. <BR>Tourist numbers well down. <BR>Some fishing/walking friends of mine report that landowners in the North (of the mainland) seem to have forgotten to tell their gamekeepers to remove the restriction signs. <BR>Being helpful, they are doing it for them. <BR>Still some probs in the South.

Shannon Jun 5th, 2001 04:42 AM

I just got back from London and I wasn't even questioned, let alone disinfected. It seems to be getting under control.

scurry Jun 5th, 2001 09:44 AM

<BR>&gt;&gt;It seems to be getting under control. <BR> <BR>If you listen to UK talk radio, it would seem that that's exactly what the govt. wants people to think going into this election. <BR> <BR>Conspiricy theories aside, there were disinfectant mats for our feet and wheels almost everywhere we went rurally in Scotland and Irelenad last month. Not sure what sort of chemicals they put on them, if any.

Lori Jun 5th, 2001 10:13 AM

Just back from France - not even questioned.

Sally Jun 5th, 2001 07:25 PM

We came back from France a week ago through Dallas, and we were questioned as to whether we had stayed at a bed and breakfast or had been to the country. Our shoes were then disinfected.

sarah Jun 6th, 2001 12:09 PM

I live in Devon England one of the worst areas hit by foot and mouth. In this area everything is back open for business and farmers are now able to transport their livestock again. this is no myth set up for the election, and the 'chemical' they were using was purely disinfectant- relax

Andy Jun 8th, 2001 06:01 PM

Danny- we were in England driving a car from Heathrow to Chester to Lakes District to Cotswolds..every now and then we'd see these blue mats on the back roads we were using.We were told they were disinfecting the tires every time we drove over them...from there flew to ROme and wasn't asked a thing-upon returning to US at DC again wasn't asked a thing---In fact, the question most asked us were by the British-" Aren't you afraid to come to Britain due to the tv coverage"...Our response-"NOTHING IS GOING TO RUIN OUR VACATION--there were absolutely no problems..only 2 sites in the Lakes District were closed--all else was business as usual.