Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Still deciding on Sevilla Hotels: now the choice is between Hotel Casa Romana and Hotel Las Casas del re Baeza

Still deciding on Sevilla Hotels: now the choice is between Hotel Casa Romana and Hotel Las Casas del re Baeza

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cannot figure out what to do. I have managed to choose hotels in Toledo, Madrid and Granada, but this choice is causing me a lot of problems. I decided to stay a bit more upscale here and I cannot decide between these two. I think the question is, do I stay downtown (Romana) or in the Barrio Santa Cruz? Any advice?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Don't drive youself crazy over it...the city is small enough that either of those areas will be fine and easy to walk from place to place and back to your hotel.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Susan, you are my guru, since I am following in your footsteps the last week of February and first week of March (and have been avidly reading all your threads). When you've finished, can you recap your itinerary and which hotels you finally booked? Between you and "the travel tyrant" I'm feeling pretty in-the-know, but I'm worrying that many places will be booked by the time my plans firm up!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:17 PM

We stayed in the Barrio Santa Cruz and were happy with the location. It is more central to major sites than the downtown area and more charming.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Hi

I wasn't in Seville for very long but what little time I had I spent in the Barrio Santa Cruz. I loved this quarter. It was quaint and full of character. Some argue it's touristy but of course it is! Everyone wants to experience it.

Adios
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM

I enjoyed the Barrio Santa Cruz, but sometimes wishes I were in a slightly more central location down near the cathedral. It was tricky walking around there at night, you could get a little lost. Alsoo, it was a ways from public transportation. It was mostly charming and convenient, though, I agree.

However, I would not call the Casas del Rey Baeza the Barrio Santa Cruz area. Of those two hotels, I would probably pick Casa Romana for the location. That is a very convenient central location, I think I'll try to remember that hotel for my next visit. It is near plaza Duque de la Victoria. You could walk to some museums from there and across the river, and east to the cathedral. It's not that far from a couple major plazas, and some shopping streets.

Both hotels look pretty nice on their websites, what do I know -- Tripadvisor reviews on Baeza are rather mixed. I just don't think that area is barrio Santa Cruz, it's over a little northeast of Casa de Pilatos, which I don't think is even considered Santa Cruz. It is not far from a main street with buses running on it that I used a lot, though. It's not within walking distance of a whole lot IMO, at least where I'd want to be walking and how far. You can walk from there to Santa Cruz. Wel, it's not miles and miles, I just don't think it's that convenient an area myself.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM

We stayed in a delightful hotel called Las Casas De La Juderia (although this was in 1995). Very comfortable, very clean, and easy walking distance to everywhere. It was in the Barrio I believe.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Sandjd - I was very interested in Casas de la Juderia, but in a long email conversation, while they told me that they had some very nice, newly renovated rooms/bathrooms, they would not guarantee that I would get such a room. I just do not want to risk a bad room and I did not like the fact that I could not get a guarantee from them at this point - way in advance of my arrival in March. I have read that some of the rooms are not so nice and I don't want to risk getting a room that we don't like.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Hi Susan!

I definitely agree that you should stay in the barrio... itīs just that Baeza isnīt exactly where you want to be. I know Iīm partial to Hotel Alminar, but have you checked out the pictures of their hotel? Youīre RIGHT next to the Cathedral and Alcazar as well as so many restaurants. Pretty much the perfect location IMO.

Iīm living in Sevilla now, so any other questions that you guys have, Iīd be more than happy to answer!

īta luego!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Kalikiana - Hotel Alminar looks nice, but is in the Barrio Santa Cruz, I don't think so, but then again, I am just trying to figure all of this out! I wanted to stay in a very nice hotel but now I am thinking that I should just try my luck at Casas de la Juderia - still undecided!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM

The Alminar is in a very convenient location -- I'd say about the most central and convenient of all these, actually. But it isn't Barrio Santa Cruz. It is right near Plaza de San Francisco and Plaza Nueva. It isn't right next to the Alcazar, either. Here's a pretty good map with it located
http://en.venere.com/hotels_seville/...l_alminar.html

It looks pretty simple in that picture, but is a convenient location. Venere.com has about all these hotels listed with convenient maps. I had trouble choosing a Seville hotel, also. They don't have a lot of really great hotels in the best locations.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina, I have looked at this map as well (I also do research on Tripadvisor and Venere) but it was hard for me to figure it out; never having been there!

Has anyone heard of the Petit Palace Santa Cruz, I think it is new and opening soon.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:55 AM

I checked out the location of Petit Palace Sta Cruz... looks like a good spot! Havenīt seen the hotel though.

Alminar is closer to the Cathedral than Plaza San Francisco (thatīs where I live).

Anyway... try not to stress too much over it. I think itīs best to find somewhere close to the Cathedral or Alcazar (theyīre right next to each other, just so ya know... ) so youīre not too deep into the barrio (easy to get lost at night if you donīt know your way around).

Iīm hope Iīm helping at least a little bit! I love this city Iīm keeping my eyes open for more hotels for you though.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Kalikiana - Thank you so much for all of the help! I have also inquired at Casa de la Maestro (?) and they have availability at a reasonable price for me. But I would have preferred Baeza as I love how it looks! This new Petit Palace Santa Cruz is supposed to open in January so I am abit wary to book it. Hotel Alminar just looks a little too stripped down for my tastes. And I did want to stay in the Barrio Santa Cruz. Any other ideas?
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I passed a hotel on my way here just now... a 4-star next to the cathedral called Hotel Doña Maria... does anyone have any reviews of it? Itīs a great location.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Kalikiana - Maribel (in her guide) says to avoid that hotel as it is over priced, rooms hit or miss, and in need of renovation. By the way, Maribel really likes Las Casas del re de Baeza and Casa del Maestro. And I do want to stay in barrio Santa Cruz...Susan