Steak Tartare Restaurant in Paris?

Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Steak Tartare Restaurant in Paris?

I love steak tartare! I would like anyone's opinion of the best resaurant to eat steak tartare in Paris!
Thank you.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:33 PM

I was just talking about steak tatare on an earlier post today (wishing I was eating some, too)! Try this very good restaurant, Le Bouillon Racine, on 3 rue Racine, not far from Blvd. St. Germain-des-Pres. The website is www.bouillon-racine.com. You can look at the menu. The restaurant is done in the art nouveau style and it's as much of a treat as the steak.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM

Great steak tartare at Bofinger -- near Bastille.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:48 PM

I don't have a lot of personal experience but we were in a little bistro across the street from Pere LeChaise (sp?) cemetary and watched a regular tear into a pile of it that looked absolutely delicious. They brought him the meat and all the accompaniments separately so he could make it to his taste. I think the name of the place was something like Bistro St. Amour. They also had aligote, that terrific potato, garlic, cantal cheese concoction that gets mashed to the point where it makes elastic strings as much as 3 feet long. Since I had the aligot, I didn't have the steak tartare. I think I'll schedule a return for my next visit to Paris. Telling you about all this has made me hungry to return.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:24 PM

I love the staek tartare at Brasserie Lipp, centrally located in St. Germain. I do the tartare and frites at Lipp at least once every trip to Paris.

Note that Lipp gets many mixed reviews, and many reports of indifference (or worse) to tourists and/or Americans.

I have always loved it, have always been seated on the main floor, and have never had a bad meal. In fact, surprisingly, I had one of the best steaks of my life there.

For me, Lipp is the quintessential urban Parisian/Alsatian brasserie.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM

I believe I have read that this is a dish prepared at Closerie des Lilas in the Montparnasse/Luxembourg area...Also one of the 'classic' / famous cafes...
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:09 AM

Ok, folks, how does one eat steak tartare in public? I grew up in a German/Irish family eating raw hamburger quite often (no egg or additions to the meat), but we just spread it on good rye bread, with real butter, a large slice of onion, and some salt. Somehow I don't think that's the way to do it in a posh restaurant. Help? just in case I feel the urge the end of April!!
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:19 AM

Yes, in France they bring the plate to your table with the chopped raw meat on it, along with toast or bread either in another dish or on the same plate. My experience has been that seasonings -- mustard, onions, capers, herbs -- depending on the chef are already mixed into it. I've seen it served with a raw egg on top in the US, but don't think I've ever seen that it France.

I laughed at Bofinger, when the waitress turned to me as I ordered it and said "do you know that it is RAW meat?"
Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM

Patrick, that's what the server at Le Bouillon Racine said to me! She wanted to be exactly sure I knew I was getting raw meat.
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I would say, Closerie de Lilas,
Brasserie Lipp,
but it depends what they add to the basic ingrediants and cut of meat you have had. I prefer the filet mignon.
The basics are raw eggs, shallots parsley, capers, tabasco; variations include dijon mustard worcester sause, cornichons.
Mar 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM

while i like tartare sometimes it is over prepared by chefs. i prefer to add my own condiments but the meat should always be ground filet tips.

i find adding worstershire, dijon or, god forbid, tabasco kills the taste of the meat. only the yolk of an egg should be added and then only if offset by capers or cornichons. parsely is a waste of thyme (used sparingly).

actually, my real favorite is carpaccio: wafer thin slices cut from the bulk of the raw filet which stands up a bit better to a wider variety of condiments.

the only tartare i've eaten in paris was at bofinger and it was merely adequate as, frankly, is the restaurant itself IMO.
Mar 4th, 2005, 12:06 PM

opps...

i forgot to add that either shallots or finely chopped green onions are obligatory.

Search this Thread