Staying on Lido: Good idea or not?

Oct 8th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Heather

Staying on Lido: Good idea or not?

Hello everyone,

I will be in Venice for two nights October 18 & 19. I am having difficulty booking a double room. I have used Venere.com to try booking several of the recommended hotels from this forum, however all hotels appear to be occupied. Any thoughts on staying at Hotl Mabapa on Lido?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Heather

Oct 8th, 2002, 11:22 AM
xxx

Here's my vote for staying on Venice as opposed to Lido. I had booked 3 nights on Lido but left after my first night, instead finding a room in Venice. Much more convenient. You can come and go as you please to and from your hotel, not having to worry about catching the boat. I'll bet if you keep looking, you'll find a good room - there are plenty of good hotels that haven't received "popular" recommendations. I can understand though. I found what looked like a great hotel in Florence but couldn't find a thing about it on the popular message boards, so I assumed there had to be something wrong with it. Not necessarily the case. Good luck!

Oct 8th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Jim

There are a number of religous lodings available in Venice. Many for under 90 EURO/night.

Oct 8th, 2002, 01:28 PM
glenn

go to tourome.com, click on hotel link and find hundreds listed.

Glenn

Oct 8th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Rex

I am also negative on Venice, as I think you have neither of the two valid reasons to stay there:

1. Okay for some folks if it is NOT their first trip to Venice.

2. Likewise perhaps reasonable if you want an extended stay (i.e., four nights or more) and it's necessary to keep within your budget.

Keep in mind that there are essntially no hotels right by a vaporetto stop. So you have a goodly walk or bus ride or taxi ride, even after your vaporetto to get to/from Lido from/to anywhere else.

For those who feel that Lido is the right choice for them, or who have no other choice - - I give a (slightly lukewarm, but) generally favorable rating to Pensione Stella.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 8th, 2002, 04:37 PM
xxx

Do not stay on the Lido. It is too inconvenient for such a short stay. Expedia.com has plenty of very good hotels available for those dates.

Oct 8th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Lesli

Heather -

Are you using the "check availability" feature on venere.com? If so, I don't know what you're talking about; there seem to be plenty of rooms for your dates.

No idea what your budget is or wht type of room you require, but I just checked, and there are rooms at 103 hotels. Including the Giorgione, C'a Pisani, Concordia, Locanda Ovidus, Belle Arti, Ala, Remedio, C'a Doro, Panada, Kette, Iris, etc. Nearly all of these are well-spoken of here; do a text search for those that interest you.

You do not need to resort to staying on Lido.

Oct 8th, 2002, 08:56 PM
up

up

Oct 8th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Topper

Topping

Oct 8th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Santa Chiara

Heather, I have a dissenting opinion from the previous posters. I choose to stay on Lido most of the time for several reasons: hotels are cheaper, restaurants are usually better and more authentic, Lido small-town Italian life, not VeniceWorld.

If you plan your day, going back and forth is not inconvenient, and in fact I find the vaporetto ride exhilarating.

Staying in Lido is not the end of the world as some of the above would have you believe.