Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Staying in the 15th. Fav' cafes, Pâtisserie, fromagerie & markets.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are down to the 'nitty gritty' of our planning of our 3.5 months in Europe. We have an apartment in the 15th for a week and will spend our days sightseeing etc (this is our second visit to Paris). We hope to make the most of the self catering oportunities and visit local markets etc. Also will visit cafes and bistros for meals.

I'd love to hear your favourites in the area.

Thanks as always,
AD
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:58 AM

Not in the 15th but the 7th but still closeby Saxe-Breutil market, especially on Saturday . Vendors from all parts of France display the best of fruits, veg, and seafood. Cheese stalls and meat too.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Yummm thanks, yep I see the 7th is close by.
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Hi,

If you are in the upper 15th and near to the 7th, you are in a super area for absolutely everything. Give us a bit more about your location and we can all be more helpful to you.

Joan
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:16 AM
tod

Aussiedreamer - I so nearly booked a hotel in the 15th on Ave de Sufferen! Then decided to move into the 7th to be within striking distance of all Joan's fav Constant eateries> Nevertheless, I have done a fair amount of homework whilst deciding and can pass this info on to you:

Right on the border (and in the 7th) is this little place:
Le Bailli de Sufferen, 7 Ave de Sufferen, 7eme.
I like the look of it and also want to try it for the famous Aveyronnaise dish from Laguiole, namely ALIGOT. A rich puree made with Tomme cheese, butter and mashed potatoes.
Here's a link:http://www.paris-bistro.com/english/...lisuffren.html

Next I have on my list, Le Volant - 13 rue Beatrix Dussane (corner of 16 rue de Loumel) close to Duplex metro. One person described it as "Wonderful food in a truly unique setting, the photographs on the walls are of the proprietor Georges Houel posing with every Formula 1 world champion since Juan Fangio in the 60's.
Food is not pretentious but good, honest French cuisine at its finest. Do yourself a favour and go there!"

Well we will! - even just to see the old photos. My husband loves F1.

Around the corner from Le Volant at 8 Rue de Lourmel is Feyrouz, a Lebanese restaurant which is open 7/7. I believe they serve great Shawarmas and I would imagine fellafel too!
http://www.parisenvies.com/lieux/lieu/feyrouz

Moving across nearer to the Seine I found a humongous Chinese restaurant at 15 rue du Theatre. It's called Chen Soleil D'Est.

The last one I've got comes from my book 'Pauper's Paris' and is the 1997 edition but it looks as if it's still there when I took a walk along the street with PagesJaunes.
The writer recommends Bistrot Bourdelle, 12 rue Antoine Bourdelle, 15eme.
Describes it as a simple restaurant with posters on the walls and a couple of tables outside if the weather is good. Has a cordial patron and excellent, imaginative food.
Unfortunately their hours are only Noon-2pm and 8pm-10pm weekdays with Saturday dinner only and closed on Sundays.

I reckon it would be a good place to go after visiting the Bourdelle Museum.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM

As I recall, you are on the perhipherique, just about, so going to a lot of places people may mention is going to be pretty far. Aren't you staying near the Balard metro stop? You aren't going to want to travel all over Paris for a croissant.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM

R Convention has a very nice farmer's market on Sunday mornings. It starts around Convention & approx R Vaugirard (longest street in Paris) & then east of there on Convention. There is another enclave of food markets & groceries on R Lecourbe between Cambronne & Volontaires.

Os a Moelle is a nice restaurant near you that we've enjoyed in the past.

Stu Dudley
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for being a bit slow to respond. We are staying n Rue de Lourmel between balarda & lourmel metro.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far...............
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

I am just topping this for my own benefit (sorry), I've just re-read your posts and I am saving and madly printing to take with me.........we leave in 6 weeks, still lots to plan.

If anyone has anything else to add that would be great.
AD
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a list of restos.

http://en.parisinfo.com/paris-restau...s-paris-15-en/
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Here's a list of chocolate shops in the area:
http://www.chocoparis.com/paris-chocolate-shops-75015/

And here are some pastry shops:
http://www.chocoparis.com/paris-pastry-shops-75015/
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

awsome..............thank you so much. I don't know how I am going to do a TR for this one as its so long, but I will definately report back somehow on your suggestions I've used.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM

We stayed in that area last year and loved it. There is a street market (sorry, forget which days) on rue Lecourbe between Rue Leblanc and Rue Vasco de Gama, and on the ground floor of the apartment building at the corner there is a full service supermarket. Metro, bus and tram service are excellent. Several shops (butcher, fishmonger, bakery, etc.) are in the area, too.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

I believe our apartment building 'has' a supermarket on the gound floor.............
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM

I wonder if it is the same apartment we had, a 2/2 a 195 rue de Lourmel? If it is, I think you will be very pleased. We tried to book for our visit this year but it was not available for our dates.