Staying in Positano vs Sorrento?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed to Italy in two weeks and had initially booked a night in Sorrento as it has an easy route back to Naples (we are taking the 1:50pm train to Rome).
However, I would much rather stay in Positano for the night *if* it is just as easy to get to the Naples train station?
Thoughts?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM

It's not nearly as easy to get to the Naples train station.

There is a local train from Sorrento dirct to the train station in Naples, where you can transfer to a long-distance train. But, the train doesn;t go beyond Sorrento. to get from Positano to Naples you need to either get a taxi (big $) or take the local bus to Sorrento then catch a train or get a ferry from Positano (I don;t know how often they run) to Naples and from the dock to the train station.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight nytraveler - looks like we'll probably just stay in Sorrento!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I took the boat from Positano to Naples and then a taxi to the train station (10 minutes max). I thought it was easy and the boat ride was a nice way to view the coast. Much easier than the bus/train option.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi zoecat....just out of curiosity, how long was the boat ride from Positano to Naples? Was it a hydrofoil?
That is how I was planning on going from Sorrento back to Naples.....
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM

If you opt for the boat, keep in mind that boats are subject to weather as well as seasonal service changes.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although the ferry/hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples is a nice way to go, IMO the train is more reliable and more convenient.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM

We took the hydrofoil between Sorrento and Naples one day - took about 45 minutes (schedule said 30) and the windows were so caked with salt you literally could not see out at all. Really. As a way to get from Sorrento to the center of Naples it was ok but to get to the train station I think it makes more sense to just take the Circumvesuviana train since that won't require you to find and pay for a taxi to get from the port to the train station. We took the train the day we were connecting to the train to Rome and I would not have considered the boat for that.

From Positano it is possible there is an open deck boat to Naples rather than a hydrofoil but unless someone could confirm that I wouldn't bet on it. An open deck boat is much more enjoyable (and you can always go inside if you want).

How much total time do you have for Sorrento/Amalfi Coast?
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, maybe we will take the ferry from Naples to Capri (for the views), and then the Circumvesuviana for the return trip from Sorrento back to Naples.
As I haven't done much research into the local trains, are they easy to navigate, and will I arrive in the same station in Naples where I will catch the fast train to Rome?

isabel - we don't have a whole lot of time in southern Italy unfortunately, but we are doing what we can with that time! We are staying in Capri for 2 nights, and then Sorrento the final night.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:37 AM

wendy - the train from Sorrento to Naples is very easy (and cheap, about 3€) and it arrives in the station that is down stairs from the main Naples Train station where you get the train to Rome. So you literally just walk up stairs and you are there. The train from Sorrento to Naples is called the Circumvesuviana and it's a commuter type train so no comfy seats or AC but it's fine for the less than one hour ride. Even in July it wasn't that hot. The port in Naples is too far to walk to the train so you'd need a taxi and the time for the hydrofoil plus taxi is definitely longer than the commuter train.

If you are in Capri for two nights you could probably do a day trip to Amalfi or Positano (or even both plus Ravello if you are energetic).
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information!!!!!!!