Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Staying in Bed & Breakfasts in Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/staying-in-bed-and-breakfasts-in-ireland-16100/)

Sharon O'Leary Aug 2nd, 1997 08:45 AM

Staying in Bed & Breakfasts in Ireland

My husband, son, 14, daugh., 16 will be traveling in Ireland the first part of Oct. Our travel agent is telling us not to stay in B&Bs'. We have heard great things about them, and would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in them, and what their experience were. Also, since our agent is not cooperative, what is the best way to find good ones and book on our own.

Thanks,
Sharon O'Leary

CHARLIE Aug 2nd, 1997 12:35 PM

SHARON---FIRST THINGS FIRST,GET A NEW TRAVEL AGENT!! I'VE TRAVELED IRELAND BOTH, VIA TOUR & SELF DRIVE WITH B&B'S.MY EXPERIENCE WITH A TOUR WAS VERY NICE BUT,IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY THE REAL IRELAND ,A SELF DRIVE WITH B&B'S IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.A GOOD SOURCE OF INFO. ON LINE IS THE "IRISH TOURIST BOARD".IT'S EASILY LOCATED WITH ANY SEARCH ENGINE.WHICHEVER WAY YOU CHOSE TO GO I'M SURE YOU'LL LOVE IT.

jay s Aug 2nd, 1997 01:37 PM

Will be spending 12 days in Ireland in August--any outstanding B and B's,particularly along the coasts in smaller towns? Any sights which should definitely not be missed? Any suggestions for car rentals?

CHARLIE Aug 2nd, 1997 03:38 PM

HI JAY ! THERE ARE SO MANY B&B'S ALL AROUND IRELAND IT WOULD IMPOSSIBLE TO NAME A FEW GOOD ONES . DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND CONTACT THE IRISH TOURIST BOARD,PHONE 072-51377 OR FAX 072-51207, AND ARRANGE FOR THEM TO SEND YOU THEIR BOOK " BED & BREAKFAST IRELAND " . THE BOOK HAS MORE THEN 300 COLOR PAGES OF B&B'S AROUND THE IRISH REPUBLIC AND ALL ARE INSPECTED AND APPROVED BY THE GOVERNMENT . AS FOR CAR RENTAL , IT'S EXPENSIVE !!! WHEN I GO , I BOOK A FLY/DRIVE WITH A TOUR COMPANY OR AER LINGUS OFFERS A NICE PACKAGE THAT CAN INCLUDE VOUCHERS FOR THE B&B'S IF YOU LIKE . I LIKE THE GREAT OUTDOORS SO MY FAVORITE PLACES IN IRELAND ARE ALONG THE COAST ( WEST & SOUTHWEST) . THE DINGLE PENINSULA ( A MUST DO DRIVE IN CLEAR WEATHER ), CLIFFS OF MOHR (MID-MORNING BEFORE THE TOUR BUS ARRIVALS) , THE CONNAMARA NATIONAL PARK AND FOR THAT MATTER, THE ENTIRE COAST OF COUNTY MAYO. YOU,VE ,NO DOUBT , HEARD OF THE RING OF KERRY BUT THE DINGLE DRIVE IS NICER . I GUESS YOU CAN TELL I LIKE IRELAND, I SEEM TO BE GOING ON AND ON SO I'LL CLOSE WITH ONE LAST WORD OF ADVICE , DON'T TRY TO COVER TO MUCH GROUND IN TWELVE DAYS , SPEND AT LEAST 2 DAYS AT EACH B&B AND REALLY ENJOY ALL THAT'S AROUND YOU . HAVE A NICE TRIP.

JOAN DOYLE Aug 3rd, 1997 05:41 PM

Hi! I agree with your earlier correspondents--get yourself a new travel agent. My sister and I (both in our 70's) went to Cork and Kerry last November and stayed in B&Bs we found for ourselves. The one in Kinsale was OK but unexciting; the one in Kenmare (found on the recommendation of a bookstore owner in the town center) was DELIGHTFUL. Our hostess had been to America (even to New Orleans near my home); she had good suggestions about eating out and about driving in the area in general. Our weather was chilly--but bright, and the same could be said for our rooms. My sister bravely bathed each night; I settled for a tourist's sponge bath.
I agree that the Dingle peninsula should not be missed--but my sister and I would also endorse the road between Kenmare and Killarney AND between Kenmare and the tip of the peninsula on which the towns of Castletownbere and Ardgroom are located. The BBC has filmed here--so be prepare for charming pastel-painted houses along the village streets and an occasional herd of sheep (which will make their way around the car).
There are several really first class restaurants in Kenmare--and at least one of them is even open on Sundays. As the Irish would say, Slainte--and I wish I could go back with you.

Terrell Dempsey Aug 3rd, 1997 07:59 PM

In October you will have no problems finding B&Bs. They are everywhere and signs are abundant. T'is a popular thing, Mrs. O'Leary, after the children are up and gone to put those bedrooms to good use. You'll meet some wonderful people. Be sure to request a good Irish fry for breakfast, get rid of your travel agent, and go with a pure heart and clear conscience. I wouldn't mess with reservations at all that time of year. Just put a picture of St. Brendan the Navigator on the dash and off you go!

Ginger Aug 3rd, 1997 10:02 PM

Just returned from 2wks in Ireland. Stayed in B&B's. They are literally everywhere. There is NO need to book before you go. I always asked to see the rooms and bath facilities first. I left a few and look just another place. (I was traveling with my 77 yr old mom & two sisters.) We had great luck. You really get to know the people and the REAL Ireland. I would go again this way. It was safe & great. If you ask for an ensuite room then the bathroom is attached to the room. It is the ONLY way to see Ireland. Good luck and enjoy. It is a great place.

CHARLIE Aug 4th, 1997 11:03 AM

HI !! Ginger I shared some info with you before your trip and now your back and shareing with others,you now sound like an IRISH vet. So glad you and family enjoyed my favorite country.

John Henderson Aug 5th, 1997 06:05 AM

Care for one more tip? If you go to Kinsale -- save your money for that night and blow it out by staying in the Soverieng House (B&B) the hostess is named Eileen and she is a dream. The house is incredible and the breakfast is fit for a king. In Dingle try Bambury's right on the top of the hill -- very nice and great for a family. Stop in at the Conair pub and say hello to my cousin Anya. If you go to Blarney only stay the day -- nothing there at night. Each town we went into we went straight to the pub (always late afternoon) and had our travel books and asked the bartender for suggestions then called several places and checked them out -- of course after having a pint! Have fun!

jay Aug 6th, 1997 11:31 PM

Thanks, John, for your specific information. Any more suggestions for particular B and Bs or other places to stay that are exceptional. Did most B and Bs require cash or were credit cards accepted? We're coming down to the wire and will take all this info with us. Any place interesting but not ridiculously expensive to stay for two nights in Dublin? Also, we love small fishing villages, seaside towns--anything we definitely should not miss? We're beginning in Dublin and then through Ennisworthy to Waterford, Cork, Dingle Peninsula, Limerick and up towards Galway. We have 12 days in Ireland and have planned mostly coastal areas to visit. Is this a mistake? What abut the Aran Islands? Is it worth a day trip? We're looking forward to anyone's response.

Brenda Aug 7th, 1997 06:23 PM

Jay, when you get to Ireland, go to the Irish Tourist Board and ask for the Town and Country B&B Book. This book is filled with wonderful B&B's who not only are certified by the Tourist Board but also inspected byt this Association which has even higher standards. We spent 15 days in June and never had a disappointment at one of the homes in the T&C Book, however found 1-2 that were certified by the Tourist Board only that left somethings to be desired. IF you go to Killarney, look up the Lohan Lodge on Tralee Road. Cathy and Mike Lohan have a wonderful B&B and are delightful folks. If you get there tell them Brenda and Paul send them regards...we will be going back next year and will spend at least a week at Lohan Lodge and use it as our base. A lot of the B&B's took credit cards, we paid cash at some (Lohan took AMerican dollars ) . As far as car rental, get a comfortable car as you will be spending lots of time in it, we got a mid size Accura... be aware that if you get the manual shift, the gear shift is on your left... a trick for me but I learned quickly and really enjoyed the driving after a few days of feeling terrified. If you have time for more details and would like to contact me my email is [email protected] I will be glad to give you specific information if I know the answers. Most of all be prepared for the treat of a lifetime ... my husband and I certainly think so. We will go back again and again. Enjoy and Slainte!!!

jay Sep 8th, 1997 05:57 PM

Just returned from our wonderful trip to Ireland--as everyone said, this is a great country to visit. Rented a stick shift and couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse; kissed the Blarney stone; toured Waterford and Powerscourt; took a Sundday walk on the beach with hundreds of families at Tramore; played golf at Waterville on the Dingle Peninsula; sadly, we had just extended our 12 day trip to 15 days when we had to return to the states for an emergency.return to Ireland on another trip.

MaryC Jan 16th, 2002 07:13 PM

Topping for Sharik...

topper Jan 17th, 2002 06:31 AM

topping

Cheryl Jun 16th, 2002 11:04 AM

Just got back from 10 days in Ireland. Couldn't agree more with everyone. The B&B's were the best!! If you have time definitely go see Malin Head in Donegal. Absolutely breathtaking!!

Angela Jun 17th, 2002 05:58 AM

If you should happen to go to Kenmare in Kerry and you should, stay at O'Donnabains Pub/Guest House. The rooms are incredible, recently refurbished and extremely spacious with lovely bathrooms all for 70 euros.

sandra Jun 17th, 2002 07:54 AM

i cannot say enough wonderful things about the b&bs in ireland! we had a great experience travelling this way and i highly recommend it. b&bs have everything you'd want in a hotel but they give you a real taste of ireland and its people, who are so charming and warm! the way we chose which ones to stay in was by buying a book (or two) which names the best b&bs in ireland, and then highlighting the corresponding b&bs in the book you'll get from the travel agent, which lists the b&bs you are eligible to stay in. takes some time, but was worth it.<BR><BR>have a wonderful trip! you will love it.

cd Jun 17th, 2002 08:08 AM

Sharon<BR>Call 1-800-223-6470, the Irish Tour Board and request the Town and Country B$B book. They will send it to you in the mail. Also you can visit their web site at townandcountry.ie

Frank Jun 17th, 2002 08:32 AM

Ditto. Dump your travel agent. We had vouchers that could be upgraded to hotels for a few extra bucks. The B&B's we stayed at were great.

bill Jun 17th, 2002 09:56 AM

Clearly the travel agents don't make commissions on B&Bs so they want to sell you hotels. I've stayed at B&B's that were nicer than most hotels. The Shores on the north Dingle coast comes to mind first.<BR><BR>Bill