Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stayed in excellent and easy, well priced apartment in Kiev!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from Kiev and were lucky enough to stay in a very central and clean and perfectly kitted out apartment. A friend had told us about this apartment service that has great locations all over the city. Our location was perfectly close to St. Sophia's and Andrew's Descent (1 block). Also the manager or owner (not sure) arranges easy pick-up from the airport and then awaits you at the apt to give you the lowdown and to help orientate you to Kiev. Really nice guy. I think every one should choose an apt over a hotel because they are so much less expensive, plus you feel like a local and can bring little bits and bobs home (blini, vodka, beer etc!). Kiev hotel service is the way to go!

Here is the website http://www.kievhotelservice.com/kievapartments.html
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM

So, tell us more about Kiev. We are all ears...

Rick
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:57 AM
ira

Yes, please do. If only so that the skeptics among us won't think that this is an advert.

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM

I didn't want to say that but .....
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes I was worried you would think it was an advert! Sorry, no, this is just a good find apartment situation. I will tell a few details but don't have the brilliance at the moment to creat an entertaining trip report! Perhaps soon!
I was going to stay at the Sunflower B&B but it was much more expensive.
My husband had to go to Kiev for work so I tagged along and we really enjoyed it. I had been all worried about Kiev, reading about how raw it was there (second world country etc.) and that I might catch typhoid or Hep A (I did get the jabs) but think it may have been a bit extreme to worry about since we stayed within the city and ate at middle of the road type Ukrainian places. I adore the cuisine! I am a hearty eater and I love the red borsht and especially the green borst made with sorrel! Also love those pampuskas they serve with it, and I love the cherry dumplings with honey and sour cream! We found the whole trip very easy, aside from language challenge of course. We tried to speak Ukrainian instead of Russian (Please, thank-you, hello etc), attempting to be PC but Russian works just as well - though a couple people corrected someone we met when he spoke Russian (a taxi driver). Speaking of taxi's - at times I was triumphant when I tried to set a price with them - my technique was of course to know the normal price it should cost the locals, and then I would add 10 Hvrnas and show it to them as I asked. Somehow presenting the money first really helped them not to jack up the fare 50% because I was a tourist.
Couldn't believe the sexed up, feminized looking Ukrainian women in their glittering fashions and high heels! Lovely and a bit intense. And I am a woman! I felt like a fool wearing flats! Women must remember to wear excellent shoes and clothes in Kyiv (though its a drag to hike Andrew's descent and the cobblestone streets in such gear!) Men just wore leather jackets and looked regular. Okay, so have I proven now that I am not an advert? Sorry for disjointed email. If anyone has questions, please ask!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM

ebacher, At first I thought it was an advert, but I checked and saw that you had posted in numerous other threads. So, knew you were legit. Sounds like you had a blast. I will be in Kiev in three weeks and can't wait! I'm not a hearty eater but am looking forward to the food. Thanks for the heads up about the language. I know a skosh of Russian but will be mindful of learning a few key Ukrainian words. It can be a sensitive issue in former USSR countries.

I'm just going to have to look the part of tourist with my sturdy boots. I remember those woman in Russia with their spiked high heels on the icy streets. Not for me!

What did you see in terms of souvenirs in Kiev? Any particular restaurants you would recommend? Thanks!
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Garbuzyk restaurant in Podil was very down-home, was very cheap and friendly! Podil in general just felt very neighborhood-ish and interesting. Loved the park near bus station with all its tacky kiosks and people hanging out socializing and drinking their beer after work. Yes, it was at Garbuzyk that I had my first wonderful green borscht and the ones that followed were never quite as special (but always tasty no matter). We also had a wonderful dill pork dish there with almost a stroganoff sauce. Plus lots of horilka (honey/pepper vodka) You can read more about this restaurant in Lonely planet's Ukraine guide.

Also enjoyed the French crepe restaurant on Andrew's descent they mentioned (sorry forgot the name but is also in book.) It's a good place to know about when you are in this touristy area and they have local specialties too.
Pervak is another Ukrainian restaurant that is supposed to be one of the best in town (in an affordable, slightly theme-restaurant way.) Went there for lunch, lots of locals having business lunches. Wasn't blown away by the food but it was certainly tasty enough and there was a lunch special on placard on the table (written in English also) that was very cheap for three courses. All the locals were having it. I should have had it! Only 50 Hvarnas. I spent alot more!
I also ate @ Mimio, again in Podil neighborhood that is pricier but is delicious Georgian food, which is kind of hard to find (in UK and US I mean) The waitresses are dressed in old Aeroflot uniforms. They will help you to choose a nice cross section of Georgian staples and specialties! So good!

Because my husband was working in Kyiv, we went out with some of his Ukrainian co-workers and they took us to bars in courtyards or in basements which often had food too -- smokey, subterreanean flavorful hideouts! The courtyards are the norm in Kiev as many if nor most buildings had them. They might look a bit strange to go into - but try to do it anyway because this is the essence of the local life (like Britain with its pubs.) Unfortunately I don't know the names (except for one, 'The Drum'but it certainly wasn't in English). Drinking beer and 'wodka' didn't help my retention of these places! Lonely planet has some recommendations.

In terms of souveniers, I was a bit disappointed! I found myself buying the colorful hand painted eggs, one silly nesting doll and some posters of the Soviet days. Most souveniers found on Andrew's Descent and underground shopping areas but hard to find elsewhere. You might like the embroidered clothing, but I didn't find anything. Maybe I was too frugal. If you paid more ($$$$), you could buy those beautiful Russian boxes!
Your ability to speak Russian will make it easy for you there! Don't worry too too much about being PC, as most people do speak Russian.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

It occurs to me that NOW I sound like an advert for Lonely Planet! Need to stop sounding so deferential! Just saying that this is the book I used but unfortunately gave away, so don't have exact details about locations etc.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Also I do not advocate tottering around in heels when traveling either! No way. They can tell we are tourists anyway no matter what we wear! I do bring a pair of lightweight heels in my purse to slip into if I am going somewhere nice though. But comfortable boots tucked into painted on jeans (LOL) might give you a local look!
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks so much for your advice! This is incredibly helpful I'm using the Lonely Planet Ukraine book too, and it's great to get an actual opinion of some of the places I'm noting in the book. It's really the only decent guide book of the very few out there for this country.

I didn't know Kiev also had the courtyards. Lovely! They are pretty standard in St. Petersburg. The place I stayed at was inside a courtyard and the path leading there looked like a scene out of a horror movie. Once you got into the courtyard, it was like a different world - bustling with people, cafe, shops, etc.

I will definitely be buying a lot of the colorful eggs and maybe a nesting doll (I already have a few of those). Kiev is not really a shopper's paradise, so most time will be spent soaking in the city, though it will be much colder when I visit. The Podil neighborhood sounds like a place I'll love. Will have to try the Georgian restaurant, and the crepe place, and Pervak, and...and...and...!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Kiev (Kyiv – Ukrainian) is one of the major European cities with long and intresting history over 15 centuries long and a lot of monuments left from the past. Golden Gaes, cave monasteries, St.Sofia and others are UNESCO world heritage. But Kiev famous not only due to its architecture, – place of location is quite amazing too – hills over great river Dnipro covered by green parks and forests.
Kiev Apartments, alternative accommodation to over-priced Kiev hotel rooms providing comfort, space, privacy and flexible service for business and vacation travellers along with reasonable prices. Our short-stay apartments for rent are new, serviced, renovated in European style and located right near central street Kreshchatyk or central square of Kiev (Kyiv). Here is the website http://accommodation.kiev.ua
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM

"Couldn't believe the sexed up, feminized looking Ukrainian women in their glittering fashions and high heels! "

ebacher ......... I could not agree more

I was in Kiev last year and also in Lviv( still in Ukraine).

I could not believe how utterly gorgeous the women were in Lviv.

It was a pleasure to see them going and coming from work, you would think they were going to a banquet at the White House.

On our way back home to North America , we stopped off in Vieena for a few days and as we were walking the streets of downtown Vienna...

my friend turned to me and said " Guess we are not in Lviv anymore."

While in Lviv I saw no tattoes no body piercing...just class 1
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM

ebacher, what’s the name/address of the apartment you rented. Do you think it will be comfortable enough for 3?
Thank you for your restaurant tips.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM
DB

"Kiev is not really a shopper's paradise..."

But don't miss going to the TSUM shopping complex (mall) on Kreschatik, the have just about everything.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM

"But don't miss going to the TSUM shopping complex (mall) on Kreschatik, the have just about everything."

My TSUM experience was a bit "Meh". I didn't see anything I wanted to buy. I found more interesting things to buy in the various shops that are along all of Kreschatik.