Stayed in any of these lodgings?

I would like to hear about any experiences at the following:

Paris - Hotel Britannique
Montecatini Terma - Villa Le Magnolie
Rome - Hotel Santa Chiara

Thanks all!!!

Nov 15th, 1999, 10:55 AM
Paul

We didn't stay at the Santa Chiara, but we stopped in and had a look in, and picked upt the brochure. The hotel looked very nice, and the location is great - between the Pantheon and Vittorio manuelle. The web address is: http://www.venere.it/roma/santa_chia...chiara_en.html

Nov 15th, 1999, 11:17 AM
Annalynn

I'm set to stay at the Hotel Brittanique for the New Year's holiday this year, so I can tell you more after my trip. What I can say at this point is that it seems to come highly recommended on this site, I liked their web page, and the price was right. They also had good reviews in most of the guidebooks I consulted.

Nov 15th, 1999, 11:49 AM
Rex

I don't know if you'll find this helpful, but for comparison sake, I can tell you about Hotel (Albergo) Cesari which is also very, very close to the Pantheon (just about exactly at the midpoint between Trevi fountain and the Pantheon). From the pictures on the www.italyhotel.com website, it appears that Santa Chiara is perhaps just a little nicer (and about 10-20% more expensive?) than the Cesari. The Cesari was certanly good enough for me and separately, my dad recently.

The area is a nice place to stay. And if you are fool enough (like me) to keep a car overnight in Rome there is a convenient parking garage right behind the Museum with the current Dali exhibit (Pzza d. Colonna is the name of the museum I think - on Via d. Corso)

If you need internet access while you are there, I can certainly recommend:

THENETGATE - Your Internet Point (tm)
Piazza Firenze, 25
Rome 00100 Italy
Phone: 0039 06 6893445
Fax: 0039 06 6893445

(listing courtesy of netcafeguide.com)

I hope you can use some of this in some way.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 16th, 1999, 06:41 AM
Ruth

We stayed in the Santa Chiara for 4 nights in September 1998 and loved it. We had a suite which was basically a large room but with a huge terrace. The location was fabulous, the people were very nice (some spoke better English than others, but it was all better than my Italian), and the breakfast was ok but not great. The bathroom was modern and the shower had great water pressure. Our friends also had a suite on the other side of the building and their shower had a glass brick wall between it and the bedroom--quite interesting.

Anyway, it was very nice, especially for the price and the location can't be beat if you want to see the historic Roman sites and the Vatican--we walked to both. As I just said in response to another posting, we used the roof terrace of the Crown Minerva hotel, which was across the street, for after-dinner drinks several nights, and other times went to an outdoor cafe on the piazza at the Pantheon--that's quite a sight to see lit up at night.