Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   stay longer in Venice or Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stay-longer-in-venice-or-rome-748104/)

super_duper_linda Nov 12th, 2007 07:38 AM

stay longer in Venice or Rome?

hi there!

my boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Venice and Rome. It would be our first time and currently we are going to stay in Venice for 4 nights (over Christmas) and 3 nights in Rome (over New Year). Do you think we should allocate the extra night to Rome?

I know it's not that much of a difference, but hotels in Venice is so expensive compared to even Rome and I am just wondering whether it's worth it.

Also does anyone have any good hotel recommendations that is close to the station in both Rome and Venice? my budget is about 500(ish Euros for 3 nights.

I have been doing a lot of research for days but there are just way too many hotels, espeically in Rome, so any personal recommendations would be awesome.

Many thanks for any help. :)

danon Nov 12th, 2007 07:43 AM

I would stay longer in Rome.
Cannot recommend a hotel, but I prefer not to stay near he train station in Rome

super_duper_linda Nov 12th, 2007 07:46 AM

Thanks Danon. Just wondering why wouldnt you stay near the train station?

we will have 1 wheely lugage each and we will be catching the train from Venice to Rome and then catch a Ryanair flight to England. So I just thought it would be more convenient? Though i dont have any experience.

bellini Nov 12th, 2007 07:58 AM

We recently stayed at Hotel italia on Via Venezia, a turning off Via Nazionale, in Rome. We walked it in about 10 minutes from Rome Termini station. It's perfectly adequate and I think we paid 120 euros per night for a double room including breakfast. Easy walk to Piazza Venezia, The Forum, Coliseum etc.
Personally I would stay longest in Venice although it will be cold and damp at Christmas and I'm not sure what will be open at that time of the year. Very atmospheric though and plenty of excuse to stop frequently for a delicious molten hot chocolate!! Mmmmm!

Vttraveler Nov 12th, 2007 08:13 AM

I would spend the longer time in Rome--it is a much bigger city with an incredible amount to see.
I agree with the recommendation for staying somewhere other than the train station. Other neighborhoods are more pleasant and more convenient to the main sights. Most people on the forum seem to like the area around Piazza navona/Campo dei Fiori/the Pantheon or Trastevere (the area across the Tiber)

If you do a search in the Europe forum for hotels in Rome and B & Bs in Rome you should come up with some ideas in your price range. We stayed in an apartment so I can't recommend a hotel that I have stayed in.

CheBird Nov 12th, 2007 08:24 AM

Hi there - I would allocate the extra night to Rome. We've been to Rome twice and just returned from our first trip to Venice. While we loved Venice and enjoyed our trip there very much, 3 full days was just the right amount of time for us. While there is a lot to see in Venice, Rome has so much more to offer. Right now you have 3 nights in Rome - does that encompass 3 full days, as well? I would do no less than 3 full days, preferably 4 for your first trip.

Sorry I can't help you with hotel choices in your price range.

Mimar Nov 12th, 2007 08:26 AM

There's no particular need to stay close to the train stations, and, often, as in Rome, it's a slightly unsavory neighborhood. One of Venice's great pleasures is, after arriving by train, walking out of the station and seeing the vista of the Grand Canal with its water lapping down a few steps. Then getting on the vaporetto(waterbus) and being carried along that great facade.

So assume you'll learn to use public transportation. And taxis aren't expensive in Rome. Though I've mostly walked in both these cities.

For hotel reviews by travelers look at www.tripadvisor.com, also www.venere.com, which plots the hotels on a city map.

super_duper_linda Nov 12th, 2007 08:39 AM

Belini - thanks for your recommendation. I was just browsing and I saw that hotel. I think it must have been booked out for a double room, umm not sure. though will definatley check again.

Vttraveler - I just read the trains stop at 9pm? so i guess it also makes more sense to stay closer to the tourist attractions. thanks!

Chebird - thanks! I think from everyone's recommendation and also just judging by how many hotels and attractions there are, we will stay longer in Rome. :)

Mimar - I have read a lot of reviews about how the neighbourhood is not that nice. So being New Year and with my boyfriend and all (first time seeing each other in half a year) so I will probably pick somewhere that is a little bit more centered and more romantic.

LESLIEMOMOF6 Nov 12th, 2007 08:40 AM

Oh, do stay in Rome, and if you get the chance, check out the Locanda Senatorum hotel-it's great and right between Piazza Navonna and the Parthenon - with Campo Di Fiore right aroound the corner, also walk to the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain-it's the greatest location - and then cab to and from the train station-you will not be spending much more on transportation costs, so jsut plan to take a cab, check ouot the hotel on TripAdvisor-you won't be disappointed. I emailed them and negotiated a really good price on the stay - try it. Bon Voyage

Vttraveler Nov 12th, 2007 08:44 AM

Here's a recent thread with suggestions in your price range in Rome
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35088282

I know the Hotel Arenula on via Santa Maria de'Calderi is also in the right price range. It is very near the apartment we rented in the ghetto neighborhood. We really enjoyed this part of Rome for its character and central location

lostinplace Nov 12th, 2007 09:46 AM

Have stayed in the Hotel Carlton Capri in Venice, across canal from train station and great breakfast.

In Rome, Hotel Astoria Garden is also near train station, maybe three blocks. Many fear the neighborhood, but we had no problems.

As to Venice or Rome, Venice is quiet and relaxing, but Rome has more to see. Another option might include stopping in Florence for a day between the two, also accessible by train, and it breaks up a longer journey.

Castellanese Nov 13th, 2007 02:56 AM

as much as I love Venice (and man, I really love that city), I'd stay longer in Rome. Venice has a lot of interesting things to see, but it's a small city. Rome, on the other hand, is very big and also has a lot of interesting things to see. I visited both cities last year and stayed for 5 nights in each. After those 5 nights in Rome, I felt that I should've stayed longer because there were still many things I couldn't see. After 5 nights in Venice, I felt that it was enough even though I didn't get see everything I wanted.

Keiracaitlyn Nov 13th, 2007 03:17 AM

I think you can't go wrong with either city. I would personally choose Venice, but would be happy with more time in either.

Check out the Beehive in Rome - 2 1/2 blocks from Termini Station. It's cheaper your price range, so not sure if you are looking for something fancier or not. You can click my name to see my trip report and link to Rome photos (which includes hotel room pics.)