Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stay in Verona, visit Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stay-in-verona-visit-venice-130030/)

Lara Jun 13th, 2001 08:45 PM

Stay in Verona, visit Venice?

We are honeymooning in Italy and Paris in October, and were originally not going to go to Venice. but we just can't bear to go to Italy without visiting! We have heard from many friends that Venice is very beautiful, but you really don't need more than a day there. Since Venice is so expensive, we are thinking of staying in Verona for a night, and taking a day trip to have lunch in Venice. This way we could get a taste of both Venice and Verona (Gotta go to fair Verona...after all, we are on our honeymoon!). <BR> <BR>Does this sound feasable to you guys who have been there? Or should we just stay in Venice? Or are there any other suggestions for a really quick trip to northeast Italy? <BR> <BR>Lara

Marcie Jun 13th, 2001 08:52 PM

If possible, I think you should try to stay one night in Venice and one night in Verona. Both are nice cities. Venice is wonderful at night....sitting in St. Marks square listening to the live music. I think it would be a shame not to spend at least one night in Venice. Oops...I just realized you'll be there in October so I'm not sure if they have the live music during October or not, we were there in September and they did. Verona is wonderful but you could get by with just several hours there if necessary. Happy Honeymooning!

Tony Jun 13th, 2001 10:57 PM

I did what you are planning a few years ago, and it turned out to be a really good idea. There are frequent and fast trains from Verona to Venice, although Verona station is a short taxi ride or long walk from the city centre. I did it because I had trouble getting a reservation at short notice in Venice, but if I go again I would do the same. <BR>The main advantage is that you arrive in Venice completely unburdened by luggage and I would suggest you keep your "carry on" gear to an absolute minimum as you really don't need a bag with all the crowds in Venice. <BR>On arrrival Venice I bought a day pass for the Vaporetti (water bus) for less than $10, and that took care of my transport needs between walking around different areas. <BR>I would suggest you have 2 nights in Verona, as you need a full day for Venice, and Verona itself is well worth a day of anybody's time. Eating outdoors in the piazza opposite the Arena is a great way to end the day by the way, and much better value than Venice.

Hillary Jun 14th, 2001 01:53 AM

2 years ago we spent a week in Venice and then we took the train to Verona. <BR>It was such a shock to be back in such a noisy polluted city full of Vespas and cars all over after the heaven of quiet Venice. Once we got to our Verona hotel I just cried and cried. Go for Venice *anyday* over Verona!!!!

dale Jun 14th, 2001 06:26 AM

verona is worth a day. you have been misinformed about the cost of staying in venice. if you can get a room in verona for usd 80, you can get the same room in venice for about usd 100. no big deal considering that venice is the most beautiful place on earth. buon viaggio.

Paul J Jun 14th, 2001 06:52 AM

Hi Lara: We've been to both Verona and Venice and both have much to offer. It's true that finding your hotel in Venice can be a struggle, but I'd vote for at LEAST an overnight stay in Venice. To be in Venice and not spend at least one night would be regrettable in later years. It is your honeymoon. Enjoy it......Paul J

lee Jun 19th, 2001 11:13 AM

We just returned from Italy and spent 3 nights and 2 1/2 days in Venice. I don't think one day in Venice is sufficient. I would recommend 2 nights, 1 1/2 days minimum. Visiting the Basilica and Doges Palace alone (very much worth doing) will take several hours. You must also spend some time riding the vaparatto's on the Grand Canal and just walking around and getting lost. Venice is a unique city. Spend more time here than in Verona.

richard j vicek Jun 19th, 2001 11:46 AM

Good afternoon, Lara Stay in Venice <BR>you can get s wider variety of hotels <BR>within your price range and will note <BR>have the hour and a half train ride <BR>to and fro and when arriving in Venice <BR>still have at least and additional 30 <BR>mins. to get to the Pza S. Marco. You <BR>you want to go to Verona make it a day <BR>trip out of Venice..Venice you will either love or hate, if you do find to <BR>love it, one day is certainly not enough. Venice is an experience. What <BR>makes Venice expensive, don't let that <BR>discourge you, you can have both a reasonable hotel and also reasonable <BR>food, but not in the class of fastfood <BR>ristorantes. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...