Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Tuscany with 11:20 AM flight out of Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked my air and now I am trying to figure out logistics. I was thinking of starting in Praiano after arriving in Rome, but after figuring out transportation it would be about 24 hours door to door. That seems like a really looonngg day of planes, trains, and automobiles! I am throwing around other options and wonder if it may be a possibility to end in Tuscany, we would do Rome in the beginning of the trip. Our flight is out of Rome at 11:20AM and we will have a car. Is this too risky?

My last thought is to arrive in Rome and get our car rental and drive directly to Tuscany. Next, drive down to Sorrento or Salerno, then bus to Praiano. We would then train to Rome and end with a few days there.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anything I might be missing?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I would definitely end in Rome. For an 11:20 am flight, you probably need to be at the airport about 2-3 hours ahead of time, seems like too much trouble to have to worry about driving back from Tuscany. How many days are you staying in Italy? Is Praiano a must? When are you going? This info may help everyone to answer you more effectively.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Start in Tuscany and end in Rome. Drop the car in Sorrento as you head south. Do not try to get to FCO from Tuscany. If your drive is too long to the Tuscany base then spend your first nite near Orvieto---never a bad option. Here are some driving tips:

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is AUTOEUROPE [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, full mandatory insurance coverage, and VAT taxes. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit[IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $10. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:29 AM

luvlimoncello,
I agree with everyone that you should not try to drive from Tuscany to FCO.

If you don't know how jetlag affects you, you should not try to drive several hours to your first destination. There are many alternatives, train to Orvieto or Florence and stay the night then pickup the car. If Chuisi is close to your destination you can train there and pick up a car.

Henry
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I was thinking my last route would be the best, and it seems like you all agree. Looks like we will rent our car from Rome, drive to Tuscany, drive down to Sorrento. Bob you mentioned driving to Sorrento to drop off the car, is this easier than driving to Salerno? Train to Rome and fly out from there.

Bob, thank you also for your driving tips and suggestions. It will be 7 years since our last visit so these are good reminders. BTW, you answered questions for me back in '01 when I was planning my first trip.

Henry, I was thinking about taking the train to Orvieto and overnighting there. But that added on one more change of hotels, and two additional legs from the airport. My husband does well on a few hours of sleep, so I think we'll just rent from the airport and drive.

We have two weeks in May and Praiano is a must. We've done Rome, Florence and Venice, with 4 days in the Tuscan hilltowns on our previous trip.

There seems to be so much to think about. We only get to travel every few years, so input from more seasoned travelers is always appreciated.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:44 AM

I wouldn't describe Italina drivers as "aggresive", I would describe them as "assertive" - but then I'm from New York.

They're definitely more skilled than most drivers in the US and take driving much more seriusly. And if you're confident and a good driver it presents no problems at all.

We often do road trips in europe- and much prefer it to driving in the US. More fun and less aggravation (from a whole pack of people who really shouldn;t be on the road at all).
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Anyone who loves limoncello is OK in my book?
It depends on where you stay on the coast. If Amalfi or Ravello then Salerno makes sense---if not, then Sorrento is better. Oops--you did say Praiano---hmmm---toss a coin but Sorrento is less driving time.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
ira

Hi L,

I always stay close to the departure airport the night before going home.

You should be at FCO about 08:20 for your 11:20 flight.