Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Sienna or smaller Tuscan hilltown?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2000, 07:26 AM
Nicole

I am planning a trip to Tuscany for my husband, myself, and a friend. We have decide to focus on Sienna and surrounding area for the 3-4 days there. I am just having trouble deciding which town. We are looking for something that is small enough not to be too touristy, but large enough that we can walk to dinner and have a reasonable choice of restaurants. (I prefer not to have drive to another town for dinner every night.) Would that be something along the lines of Castelina in Chianti, Montepulciano, or do you think we would need to stay in Sienna to get that? <BR> <BR>Also, do you have any hotels to recommend in that town as well? We are looking for something that can sleep 3 people and isn't too pricy (say around 200,000 lire). <BR> <BR> <BR>Many thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Nicole <BR> <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2000, 10:57 AM
Nicole

Help? Please? Pretty, pretty please?

Old May 22nd, 2000, 11:51 AM
Tom F.

Nicole, This may not be exactly what you are looking for but there is a little town directly west of Sienna called Casole d'elsa. It has gobs of charm and it is definitely off the beaten path. It is, also, ideally located for doing day-trips to Sienna, Lucca, Pisa and (don't miss) Sam Gimignano(sp). A mile or two outside town is a splendid B&B called Podere Capreto (or was it Capreto Podere?). It is listed in Karen Brown's "Cheap Sleeps in Italy". It used to be run by the Zito family but they sold it to a couple of women a few years ago. It is a dream lodging you will never forget. If possible, try to book the "barn"--an exquisite spot with two separate bedrooms & baths and a kitchenette. Even after six years we still wax rhapsodic about the Capreto and, indeed, all of Tuscany. For additional details and/or endless gushing, free to call 312-751-4804 during business hours. I can talk about Italy for a VERY long time! Bon Voyage!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 12:30 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Nicole, Pick your location first then <BR>your hotel. If you want south, and why <BR>not, then the Granducato in Montepul. <BR>is a good choice at that price. <BR>However, if you want NW of Siena then <BR>several choices in San Gimignano would <BR>be good. The La Cisterna is right in <BR>the heart of town---the Hotel Pescille <BR>is on a hill about 3 miles south of town. Location is the key. Another option is Garni a Montalcino---go to <BR>www.tuscanytravel.com to find it. <BR>Good luck---hard to go wrong !

Old May 23rd, 2000, 05:10 AM
Nicole

Thanks Tom! Thanks Bob! (And, Tom, I am not sick of hearing from you! I truly appreciate the advice.) <BR> <BR>My main question now is mostly about the towns. Does Castellina in Chianti have a "center"? Are there restaurants, etc. that we don't have to drive someplace to get dinner every night? I am now thinking about staying at the Salivolpi in Castellina in Chianti. Seems fairly central for day trips. Does anyone know anything about it? At this point I am getting concerned about a place to stay as our trip is the last week of June. Thanks again! <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2000, 05:30 AM
Paul

Nicole, <BR>Castellina in Chianti does indeed have a center! I've been there many, many times. Castellina is very centrally located in Tuscany, and you can get most anywhere from these. As to eating, there are several good places to eat in town - La Torre & Albergaccio are the two big restaurants, but there's also a great pizzeria (lots of fun on Sunday night!) and a wonderful little trattoria near the wine shops, where I had for lunch one of the BEST lasagnas I have ever eaten (ricotta replaced by thick besamella - yum, yum!!). <BR> <BR>I don't know about the Salivolpi, but I did stop in and look at their other hotel, the San Leonino, last year. It's about 5km south of Castellina, and looked very nice. The web site for Savivolpi is http://www.hotelsalivolpi.com/, and for San Leonino http://www.hotelsanleonino.com/. They told me there that it's better to fax rather than e-mail, if you need a quick response. <BR> <BR>Good luck!! Write if you need more info. <BR> <BR>=Paul