Notices

stay in siena or montalcino

May 22nd, 2012, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

stay in siena or montalcino

trying to decide where we should stay, siena or montalcino, will be travelling from the C.T. on Thursday 18th October ( by train most likely, could look at a car & driver from Florence if needed) and will have until 23rd October when we will fly back to Australia from Rome. We do not want to drive ourselves so will be looking to book daytrips & private tours as we want to visit and spend quite an amount of time at Sant'Antimo - (even considering hiking there from Montalcino on one day) and Monte Oliveto Maggiore, plus touring the small villages and towns in the surrounding area, we would like to visit a small olive grove where traditional pressing methods are used plus some wineries, my question is - do I look for accomodation in montalcino or siena, this is our 1st visit to Italy, your thoughts and assistance will be greatly appreciated, we do not want to drive as we think it will be a bit too stressfull
May 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM

Without a car, I would choose Siena as there is more to see and the transport links are better. That said, Montalcino is a charming place, home of my favourite affordable wine (Rosso di Montalcino) and driving is not difficult at all in the Val d'Orcia.
May 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM

You really have no choice---there is no train to Montalcino.
It is not easy to see Tuscany without a car---or driver---so Siena is your best bet for bus links to some of the hill towns.
May 22nd, 2012, 07:45 AM

There are multiple buses per day (except maybe Sunday) between Siena and Montalcino so you can day trip from Siena if you want. Check departures as I've only caught this bus at the train station, but there might be one of the city gates where it stops. There is also a 3-4 hour break in return service in the afternoon so schedule accordingly. While Montalcino has some tour options to other towns, it is much smaller than Siena and much less to do.

There are lots of tours you can book from Siena also (wine tours, San G, Chianti area). Drop in the tourist office.

You will not go to Florence if coming from the CT. Your options coming from CT would be train to Siena (several changes - Pisa, Empoli) or train to Pisa airport and catch the 1pm bus to Siena.
http://www.pisa-airport.com/aeroporto_di_pisa_196.html

It's also easy to bus from Siena to Rome.
http://www.sena.it/Home/78-1-en.html

Search this Thread