Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in San Ginignano or Siena? Which one to choose?

Jun 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

My husband and I (late 20s) will be spending close to three weeks in Italy in July. Our trip is nearly planned, although I have 5 days in the middle of our trip where I'd like to spend time in Florence, Sienna, and San Ginignano. We're the type of people who get restless in a place after 3-4 days, so I was thinking it might make sense to stay 2-3 nights in Florence, and then the 2 nights in either Siena or San Gigignano. Or, would you recommend staying a night in each (siena and san g)? After this portion of the trip, we're heading to Sorrento. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Angela
Jun 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I would not recommend switching hotels and doing both for 1 night each. Too much time lost, etc.

I have never stayed in Sienna, so I can't speak for it, however, I found San Gimignano 'magical' after dark -- when all the tour buses left and it was this little town with walls and neat towers. Walking around at dusk was one of our favorite 'restful' times of our busy trip to Italy. I found Florence overwhelming with the vespas zooming on the streets constantly, so San G. was a nice break....
Jun 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I'd spend the day (albeit a busy one) in San Gimignano and then drive to the Siena area for your two or three nights. Siena-area is a fine base for touring southern Tuscany.

I personally would stay elsewhere than Siena in the south - I didn't enjoy it, and we stayed inside the walls. But I think I'm in the minority on this one.
Jun 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM

I also found Siena very dark--definitely had that medieval feel but it was kind of gloomy. I would definitely stay two nights in one place, though, where ever you choose.
Jun 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM

I think your plan to stay 2-3 nights in Florence and then 1-2 elswhere is a good one. We stayed in Radda, which is about 45 minutes from Florence, and were able to day trip from there very easily to Siena (40 min) and San Gimignano ( about 1.5 hours). Of course you need a car for this, or can you hire a driver/tour guide.
Jun 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM

BTW- I also agree with the posters above. I liked Siena, but was glad that we had based in the countryside instead.