Stay in one place or move around

Jun 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Stay in one place or move around

In your experience, do you prefer to base yourself in one place and plan day trips, or can you see more by planning a couple of nights in various locations?

Thanks - Lor
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM

I think it depends on where we are going. For the most part we prefer to stay in one place and daytrip, but we have learned to keep some of the longer daytrips to a minimum because some of the roads aren't as fast moving as they are here in the US and driving 90 miles, which we think of as a short daytrip, can end up taking over three hours. In general we prefer to stay at one place for at least 3-4 nights and daytrip immediately around our area and really get to know the area well.

Tracy
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

It partly depends where I'm going, but usually I prefer to stay in different places as it makes the holiday seem longer. It's nice to end up with a week in one place, though, so you can finally unpack properly.

What I mostly tend to do now is spend a week at a time in 2 or 3 places. Although when touring somewhere like Sicily, I might do something like 3,2,2,7.
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I like to move around. If I fall in love with a place I can always go back for an extended visit.
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I always try to be in each place at least 2 nights.

To date I haven't rented a car. Always have travelled by train.

As we get older I'm finding it a bit of a hassle (though not a big problem) carrying up and down stairs.

Not every train station has an escallator and some only up. Carrying down is actually more dangerous than carrying up as it's easier to lose your balance.

In Brussels we had it all planned. Then we walked into the train station and the first elevator was out of service. Just moved on and carried things down the stairs to the next elevator that was working.

While I will continue to move around somewhat, I'll try to reduce the number of bases on trips.
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

We'll be in Southern France for a week, heading back to Paris for a few days before flying home.
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM

I don't like day trips because you double your travel time for really no reason. My motto is pack light and move along.
Jun 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM

My feeling is that you waste a whole day each time you relocate, between packing, checking out, getting to the new place and finding your lodgings, checking in, and unpacking (and as I age, resting up).

So we tend to stay in a place for a week or so before moving. This is partially influenced by our liking to rent apartments, which usually give the best deal if you rent for at least a week.

Of course, if we are going to a remote location where there isn't enough to do to occupy a week, we would consider staying for a shorter period. But because Europe is so compact, we haven't yet found such a remote location. Even when we stayed in a rural village in Switzerland, we could daytrip to many interesting locations easily.
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I'm with laclaire, although I usually plan trips that are broken up into a few days of "moving along" follwed by several days in one spot.

However, when I "move along" I don't move very far. I usually drive less than 90 minutes to any new location. I arrive in time to have lunch, and either stay the night there, or if I'm headed someplace else to spend the night, I make sure to arrive there before 6pm.

To me, doing day trips feels too much like commuting or driving around in circles. I prefer to move in spirals -- or a kind of Brownian motion!
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Some cities offer so much it makes sense to stay and spend the entire time there. Other cities are best combined with a couple of other cities. And then there are the places that it's best to rent a car and move around. It really does depend on the destination.
It's cheaper to stay in one place.
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM

chalsor, my preference is for week long stays in any location. Where nessundorma likens this to going in circles, I consider it to be spokes in a wheel and I am the center of the big wheel Deborah
Jun 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM

In places we know -- the UK, France, Italy -- we tend to stay at least a week in one place, often renting an apartment. Last year we took our first tour in order to cover a fair amount of ground in a country we didn't know, with the objective of identifying places we want to go back to for a longer period of time. It worked so well that we are doing it again this fall. This was, I would say, a tour that moved only once every three days or so.
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM

I have a 4 (preferably 5) day personal minimum in any city. I hate to move around and have more fun seeing places leisurely and more in depth. My european friend teases me... "No one knows the 2 blocks surrounding their hotel like you do".
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I like staying in as few locations as possible you lose at least a half day every time you relocate.
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM

I really question this notion that you "lose" half a day or that packing up is such a burden for everybody. I happen to enjoy travelling -- and by travel I mean "travelling". I like driving in the Italian, Spanish or French countryside. I consider it part of my vacation. I also enjoy taking trains, where I can both read and watch the scenery.

When I travel by car, I pick places to stay where it is easy to park. I don't unpack EVERYTHING every night. I unpack what I need for the night. It takes me all of 10 minutes.

I usually pay my bill the night before I leave. Even when I have to pay in the morning, I seldom spend more than 15 minutes doing it.

Given the European lifestyle, I enjoy arriving at a town late in the afternoon, checking my bag, doing some sightseeing, having a cocktail, going to a new restaurant, and getting up in the morning and doing a little more sightseeing before driving off to a new town for lunch. After lunch, I do some sightseeing, and then off to a new town.

If I'm in a city, I usually stay a whole week and don't do any day trips at all. If I'm in a place I've picked for its gorgeous scenery -- the Italian Lakes, or the Alps, or the Mediterranean or the Basque coast, I just hang out and enjoy the view, with boat trips or hikes.

But I don't much care for driving back and forth from a single location and feeling like a nine-to-fiver. Others feel otherwise, I realize. But it's all subjective. And knowing how to plan if you are a traveller.

Jun 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Neither. I prefer to stay in one place and visit that place for a week. I might move if I had more than a week at a time of vacation, but I generally don't.
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I prefer to rent an apartment and stay in one location and make day trips. You really get to know an area and get to meet local people. Ever so much more interesting than running from place to place. Further, tt is nice to sleep in the same bed after a busy day. We have found some of the most interesting off beat sites staying in one place. Visited a bell makers in Switzerland (personal invitation), was invited to dinner at a French farm, met an ostrich outside Pretoria face to face and a gem miner in Swaziland. Would have missed those things had we not spend a week in those locations.
Jun 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM

This language from the stay-in-one-spot crowd is so perjorative! I do understand that when YOU travel, anything but staying in one spot feels like "running" to you, but for others, it's not so stressful.

I could care less if I sleep in the same bed every day -- especially if I don't like the bed.

And as for missing things that couldn't have happened if you hadn't stayed, it taint necessarily so. I've been invited into homes, gotten taken places by locals -- a lot of stuff -- in places I only spent one night.

And had I confined myself over the past 10 years to vacations where I spent a week in just one place and its immediate surroundings, I would have missed A LOT. Really a lot.

Some people should never move around when they "travel." They'll just be miserable. But for a great many other people, part of the enjoyment of traveling is travel. It takes a strategy and a plan, but for certain kinds of destinations and vacations, it can be far more enjoyable than just staying the entire time in one rental.
Jun 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM

And I'll just to show I'm not dogmatic:

For certain kinds of vacations and destinations, you defeat the purpose if you don't stay put long enough to either take advantage of the relaxing nature of your surroundings or get beyond the well-worn tourist offerings.
Jun 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Everyone go back and read nessundorma's posts. Well said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO