Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Marais or 7th with family of teenagers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need advice as to whether to tay on rue Ste Croix de le Bretonnerie (Marais) or 24 rue du Champs de Mars (7th)with four teenage children? First time in Paris! We'll be travelling in July and the Marais apt does not have A/C -- would this be a problem or is Paris fairly moderate?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Most of the folks on this board insist on air conditioning in July and I think they're they're right to do so. It can be very hot in July (though not outside my comfort level). But must you choose between one of those two apartments? Aren't there air conditioned apartments in the Marais? Otherwise, I prefer the Marais for charm, human scale and the wide variety of boutiques and restuarants. But the 7th has elegance and green space, and is arguably the "safest" arrondissement in Paris, not that the Marais isn't safe enough.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:49 PM

In July, I'd go with the apt. w/AC,plus the 7th is my favorite arrondissement (though my teens might argue for the Marais).
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:55 AM

I prefer the 7th but I think teenagers might be bored there. But again, I think you need the AC. What the heck, they are young, they can walk. They will probably like the 5th and 6th best.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I'd go with the Marais. Everybody's always insisting on air conditioning. I've had air conditioning all my life. I spent 2 weeks last July in Paris renovating my apartment (we're talking tearing down walls, pulling up flooring, carrying furniture, etc.) I didn't think a lack of air conditioning was a problem at all. In fact we had so much breeze in the apartment that the doors kept slamming shut.

If you're looking at St-Croix de la Bretonnerie, you're probably considering the hotel by the same name. I found it to be very pleasant, especially if you get one of the larger rooms. A nearby alternative (I'm pretty sure with air conditioning) is the Axial Beaubourg.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:41 AM

We stayed in the Marais in July without a/c, never missed it.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Ask the Marais hotel which way its rooms face (you don't want south, and north or east are best), whether the windows have shutters or roll down blinds (to block and sun while you're out), and how many floors there are in the hotel. If it's five or six, ask if they can put you in a room on the fourh (you definitely don't want to be under the eaves, but you do want, if you can, to avoid some of the heat that could rise from the street),