Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Mainland Venice or on the island - have to take Thello in evening?

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (a couple) am going to Venice for 1.5-2 days (last week march) from Florence (by train) and then taking the overnight Thello to Paris around 7pm. There is a nice B&B i found in Favaro Veneto area (for 80$) but I am not sure if it might spoil the fun given its in Mainland Venice. The factors I want to consider are
-
1. We'll have decent amount of luggage (1 big roller bags of 14-15/kgs) and 2 bagpacks of ~7 kgs. Someone advised it's hard to carry luggage till island??
2. Arriving from Florence at noon and have to take Thello for paris - overnight
3. Would definitely like to explore the San Marco area in day.
4. Budget is 70-90$/night

Would you recommend the place http://www.casadellerose.net/ or should I look for places in central island only?
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:29 AM

With all those bags Lido remote too far away from everything
you want to see.Booking.com/Boscolo-Bellini my fav on the
Grand Canal a couple of blocks from the train station my fav might be a better choice to enjoy your stay GREAT personal experience several times for me.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:37 AM

Might splurge a bit to be in Venice but
eurocheapo.com/venice for super budget in that area
One I have stayed in www.hotelpausania.it booked otel.com
www.casadellacorte.it San Marco both good in your very low price range.Might be a bit more flexible on budget to get something decent.For 39 euro you can fly VCE PAR
skyscanner.net take all the money you will save on train buy nicer hotel rooms.Personally just booked easyjet 39 euro VCE CDG 39 euro in April for me way cheaper better than train.

Happy Hunting!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Here is an honest review on your place on venere.com
SHARED bath(bad) remote more of a house type situation.
Owner has deleted any bad reviews in Tripadvertizer
So it looks and is ranked better than it really is DECEPTIVE.
Only minor complaint/ The local people is remote and one man where walking us to the hotel when I lost my map over lido. y.
http://www.venere.com/bandb/venice/b...asa-delle-rose

Way too much of a bag drag for me for a short stay.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Swalia, you seem a bit confused, there is no such thing as "mainland Venice." You probably mean Mestre. You could stay there and take the train on into Venice each day, or up your budget, which would be my choice for such a short stay.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 04:34 AM

From Wikipedia :Favaro Veneto is a city part of the commune of Venice, in Veneto ..

It is located somewhat between Marcopolo Airport and Mestre. When you arrive at Mestre station from Florence, you would need to take a but or taxi to get to your B & B, about 6, 7 km. I suppose. So it's even less convenient than staying Mestre. If you stay in Mestre, at least your arrival/departure will be simple.

Casa della Rose is in Lido Island so you would lose more time gettin to/from Venice to Lido by boat. The site says 15 minutes to Miazza San Marco but that's by boat, not on foot.

The best would be : use booking sites for availability and for your budget and 1) find a hotel near Santa Lucia (venice proper) railway staion, end of March is probably middle season price wise, you might get an acceptable place. Your train from Florence, it goes to Venice Sant Lucia anyway via Venice Mestre ? You better check it. Or 2) Find a place near Mestre station. If your night train to Paris departs from Santa Lucia, it's another reason to stay in Venice proper. You will maximise your time to stay there.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 04:36 AM

> Mestre station from Florence, you would need to take a BUT or taxi ..

I meant BUS (if there is a bus line).
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

@qwovadis - thanks for that! Will drop that option and look for more.
@Kappa1: That is very insightful - i agree since we are only for a 1.5 days.. best to stay within the city center and closer to station (yes santa lucia it is), Will increase my budget a bit while searching, If im correct - i'll anyways end up spending more on travel from hotel-venice-station if I book a cheaper hotel.

Will look around for more BnBs
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
When you book your train from Florence to Venice, you can either book your ticket to Mestre or Venice SL. I would book it to Venice SL and try to find a B&B near the Venice SL train station. You have such little time there it's better not to waste it traveling to and from a far away B&B.

Is your Thello ticket departing from Mestre or Venice SL? You will need to store your luggage somewhere that day until time to depart. Venice SL has storage, but be sure to allow time to retrieve as there can be lines. If you get a B&B close by, they might be able to store it. I would make sure to arrange a pick up time if the B&B does not have a staffed service desk.

This hotel is a few minutes walk from the Ve SL station. This person's review said the beds were a bit hard, but everything was clean. If you can stand a hard bed for one night, it might be in your price range.
http://www.hotelarlecchino.com/location.htm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...photo-link.cfm
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM

I am trying to visualize what you mean by decent amount of luggage.

1 big roller bag of 15kg = looks like one lightly packed 26" or one heavily packed 24" roller.

2 backpaks 7kg each = looks like 2 day packs.

These don't seem to be that much luggage. It seems you have more latitude with your accommodation choices.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Hello

Sorry for the late reply, was bust with visa and booking. Finally booked Locanda Sant'Agostin, Venice. It's decently close to SL station. Will book my florence-venice and venice-paris tickets from SL station. Have a question regarding that. will post in another thread