Stay in Giverny or Auvers sur Oise?

Nov 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Stay in Giverny or Auvers sur Oise?

At the end of my France trip by car, I want to spend one day and night in Giverny and then go to Auvers sur Oise the next day. From Auvers sur Oise, I was planning to drive to CDG and fly home. I'm not having much luck finding a great place to stay in Auvers sur Oise. I could spend two nights in Giverny but that means driving one hour to and from Auvers sur Oise and driving an hour to the airport instead of 30 minutes from Auvers sur Oise. Would you recommend two nights in Giverny or something else? A better place to stay closer to the airport?

Jeannette
Nov 8th, 2010, 12:58 PM

That's because it's a very small village and there aren't hardly any places to stay in it. They have a website with the few accommodations possible on it, I presume that's what you looked at. I see no point to staying in Giverny at all from what you said. Why stay in only one of these places, there are hotels all over the place, that's the general Paris exurban area.

Here's a very nice chateau only 20 min from CDG, for example, and it's an Accor
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...rs/index.shtml
Nov 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM

I've stayed in Vernon. This is the train stop for those going to Giverny. It is 71km from Auvers.
Nov 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM

I wouldn't stay in either Giverny or Auvers-sur-Oise, nor would I drive. I'd just stay in Paris and take the train. Neither place really takes more than half a day to visit.
Nov 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina for recommending the Novotel hotel. It looks nice and is close to Auvers sur Oise.

St. Cirq: You helped me a lot with my trip to France years ago and I welcome your advice. I am starting this trip in Paris so I don't want to return to Paris before I fly out. I will be driving from Normandie and my husband has requested a second visit to Giverny. We'll be driving from Honfleur and visiting Rouen on the way to Giverny where I thought we'd spend the night. My last day was going to be in Auvers sur Oise where we can relax, see Van Gogh-land and walk in the country. It would be nice to stay somewhere nice and stress free before we fly out.

Jeannette
Nov 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM

You could visit both in one day but if you want to overnight in the area here's an idea. One the first day start with a visit to the lovely medieval village of Le Petit Andely and also visit Château Gaillard, Richard the Lionheart's castle ruin which is perched on a cliff above the town and offers panoramic views of the countryside. Then do an afternoon visit to Giverny. Spend the night just down the road in La Roche Guyon (classified as one of France's beautiful villages), which is a small village with an impressive castle and a medieval donjon on a hill overlooking the town. here is a link (in French) to the town website: http://www.larocheguyon.fr/. There is a good restaurant for dinner on the banks of the Seine in this town called Les Bords de Seine.

The next morning it is a 50 minute drive to Auvers sur Oise and then off to the airport.
Nov 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM

I posted while you were posting so I didn't know you were coming from Normandy and visiting Rouen before Giverny. You could still finish in Giverny and spend the night in La Roche Guyon if you choose.
Nov 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Dear FrenchMystique: Thank you so much for the great ideas! We will definitely Depending see Chateau Gaillard. If we don't stay in La Roche Guyon, we'll stop to explore it! Thanks so much.

Jeannette
Nov 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Staying in Giverny doesn't seem to be the popular choice, and I'm sure there are many other wonderful places to visit/stay, but I have to say that we absolutely loved our 2 nights there in early June. We stayed in a friendly B&B (Au Bon Marechal) right in the middle of the village. Loved our dinners/drinks at the Hotel Baudy just down the street, where we enjoyed being among the locals and the few tourists who spend the night in the village. Staying in Giverny allowed us to visit the gardens both early in the morning and at the end of the day--different light, different experience (though we had to pay twice for entrance to the gardens). We had intended to spend some time in Vernon and the surrounding areas but ended up spending all our time in Giverny itself--it was delightful! It was an easy drive to CDG.
Nov 9th, 2010, 06:58 AM

If you are a Van Gogh fan and plan on doing the walking "trail" that features his paintings and where they were painted, you will need more than a half day to do that, see where he lived, see the cemetery. We spent most of a day there doing the Van Gogh pilgrimage and had to cut the walk short when it started to rain.