Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

stay in Bath or do a day trip from London?

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it more economical to stay in Bath overnite or stay in London and do a day trip? Would one day be enough to enjoy Bath?
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM

I'm no expert, but if you have time, I'd stay in Bath for a few days... I think there is a lot to see and do, depending on your interests of course.
Also there are many lovely places to visit near Bath , to save travelling time eg Blaise Hamlet a collection of 9 beautiful cottages. The hamlet is on the grounds of Blaise Castle, a short cross over to Wales to Tintern Abbey , Hay-on Wye, the book shop town,Coleridge's cottage at Nether Stowey, Lorna Doone country, even Lacock in a different direction. All within a reasonable distance from Bath.
moonrise
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 12:39 AM

The only problem with staying in Bath 1 night is finding a place that will allow a 1 night stay. I have found a majority of places only allow 2 nights stays. The exception is the Hilton there (and perhaps there are others but I have never been able to find one!!)

If you have a car perhaps you can find a 1 night stay in the country around Bath...?

We have done a day trip to Bath using London Walks www.walks.com (look under their Explorer Days) and were very happy. You could definately spend more than a day there, there is certainly lots to see. It is a lovely town.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 01:12 AM

Bath as a day trip from London will involve 4-5 hours of travel, more if you drive. So at most that will give you 4-5 hours to sightsee, and a long day. That's far too little in my opinion. Two nights there will give you the full and more relaxed day that Bath deserves.

(Bath is a city, BTW).
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
ira

Hi Mink,

According to www.bahn.de, it is about 1:30 from Paddington to Bath Spa.

My Lady Wife and I visited from London for the day and enjoyed it.

You can pet Paddington Bear.

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM

The train is about 2 and a half hours from London. I would do a two night stay and maybe go to Bristol for a day...it's about a 14 minute train ride towards the west.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM

When we were in London, we spent 3 nights in Bath & also visited the Cottswolds. It was very enjoyable and a change from the bustle of London. There are some charming B&Bs, some of which may permit one night stays.

There was theater in Bath as well, tho the best thing about it was finally seeing Raquel Welch; unfortunately the play she was in was dreadful & she acted very much the spoiled ugly American in it. YUCK!