Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Stay close to Termini or Spanish Steps? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/stay-close-to-termini-or-spanish-steps-620672/)

schnookies Jun 4th, 2006 12:20 AM

Stay close to Termini or Spanish Steps?

What do you prefer? What's the most central place if you want to walk around a lot in your own area and not really take the subway at night? Isn't there a lot to look at and do around the Spanish Steps? I'm looking into the hotel "San Carlo" which is located around there. Has anyone here stayed there?? I got the rate of 155 euros/night. Is that pretty good?

joiedevivre Jun 4th, 2006 12:29 AM

You definetely want to stay near the Spanish steps. Not sure about the hotel, and the rate depends on what category hotel you are comparing. Rome is a walking city so no need to get on the subway (if you do, watch your wallet). Enjoy the heat!

Faux Jun 4th, 2006 02:12 AM

I agree that you do not want to stay near Termini - I dont know your hotel either but there are other areas to stay such as near Piazza Navona and Trastevere.

jody Jun 4th, 2006 02:18 AM

Definitely Spanish Steps.

A regular poster here, Bookchick, always stays at the San Carlo on her frequent trips to Italy. You might try doing a search on her name for a report

worldinabag Jun 4th, 2006 02:29 AM

Hi

The location of the Hotel San Carlo is excellent if you want to stay near the Spanish Steps. Their web page - http://www.hotel-rome-sancarlo.com - quotes a special rate of €125 for a superior double room. This is a great deal for a 3 star hotel in this location. Haven't stay there but looks OK.

Hope this helps.

rosexmke Jun 4th, 2006 03:01 AM

I think with that price you can't beat it in relation to the location. If you are hesitant without a personal recommendation you can always look at venere.com or trip advisor. Both sites show people giving very positive reviews. You did not mention your travel dates - the hotel website looks like good offers, but also check price compare on trip advisor. Some showing $142

Viajero2 Jun 4th, 2006 03:46 AM

Agree w/previous poster, even better location than the Spanish Steps is Piazza Navona or Pantheon. I stayed at Hotel Genio (not worth the rate), 2 blocks from Piazza Navona, never took the subway once and did walk to most sights, including the Vatican. Many hotels in the area such as Hotel Nazionale worth the try.

schnookies Jun 4th, 2006 08:09 AM

So I don't think I want to stay around Termini. Where is Piazza Navona by the way? That's not where the Spanish Steps are? And how far from the Spanish Steps is it?? Thanks for your advice!

Mimar Jun 4th, 2006 08:18 AM

Dear schnookies, you need a map of Rome. You can find one online or in a guidebook. You might look at www.venere.com. It has a map of Rome and you can chose your hotel by the area of Rome. However, it doesn't do this for the cheaper hotels.

handmaiden Jun 4th, 2006 08:53 AM

The Spanish Step area is much nicer than Termini. Termini is not bad, but it is not adjacent to preferred sites like Spanish Step area. The Spanish Steps are very close to the Borghese Gardens, which is my favourite spot in Roma. You are also close to Via Condotti, the "Rodeo Drive" of Roma. It is also a short walk to the Trevi Fountain.

I have stayed in Termini area and liked it; however, I am a walker. I didn't mind walking for 30 minutes to get to other areas of Roma. You may not be a walker.

Handmaiden of T---

Viajero2 Jun 4th, 2006 03:48 PM

schnookies--- strong word of advice: DO NOT get on the plane to Rome without having taken a look at a map of Old Rome (Centro Storico). Get familiar with your destination; it will save you a lot of headaches. Strongly recommend Streetwise Rome (Barnes & Nobles, etc...).

schnookies Jun 4th, 2006 04:53 PM

Great! I will definitely stay around the Spanish Steps now. I'm going to look into San Carlo hotel. I'm so grateful for this board and all your help! THANKS!