Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   STATIA - Thanks for the Apartment referral in FLORENCE!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/statia-thanks-for-the-apartment-referral-in-florence-356681/)

Janster Sep 9th, 2003 12:55 PM

STATIA - Thanks for the Apartment referral in FLORENCE!!!

Statia,
We just got back from Florence 2 days ago, and we LOVED the city AND the apartment you recommended!!! The location was great and the apartment was adorable and clean with great views. My husband and I had a great time exploring the San Lorenzo market, walking around the city, seeing the sights and the artwork, eating gelati, and drinking cappucino !!!!! Gianna was really helpful, and we were so glad to have found out about the apartment! Thanks again!

JandaO Sep 9th, 2003 12:59 PM

Hi Janster,
Can you recommend any budget eating places in Florence?

Statia Sep 9th, 2003 12:59 PM

You're most welcome, Janster. I thought of you just the other day and wondered if you'd been there yet. Glad it worked out well for you!

BrimhamRocks Sep 9th, 2003 03:14 PM

Hi Statia, I was just wondering...

The Gianna (love that name) that you told Janster about, was that Gianna Galeota? If so, I've found her listed as the owner of a few different apartments. However, the listings are all scattered around. Is there a central list of all her properties? I really like the way they look in the photos, but I'd love it if they were all on one list so I wouldn't have to keep hopping around!

Statia Sep 9th, 2003 04:21 PM

Brimham, yes it's the same Gianna. I, too, have noticed she has several web listings.

In my research, I found that sleepinginflorence.com was the best site to use for all her listings. As far as I know she owns the whole San Lorenzo apartment building, and I'm not sure of any other properties she has, but there could be more. However, everything in the San Lorenzo building is listed on that site.

We rented the Lepri apartment and were very satisfied with it for two persons. Good luck in your search.

BrimhamRocks Sep 9th, 2003 05:23 PM

Thanks!

Janster Sep 10th, 2003 05:08 AM

JandaO -

Most places are not that expensive - two places we loved the most were the trattoria connected with Cibreo (the famous restaurant) and a restaurant that I can't recall the name of right now...it was recommended in the Rough Guide to Florence, and was called something like Il Girabheldi I think....I will check. Anyway, Cibreo Trattoria was much less expensive than the restaurant (1st courses were 5 euros, second were 13), but they share a kitchen, so you get the same quality. The meal was AMAZING - true Florentine cooking (which, by the way, it was explained to us by the helpful manager does NOT include pasta). I would recommend it to anyone. Also, Vivoli gelato really was the best.

Statia - Thanks again. We really did love it. It is nice to find helpful advice like yours.

Janet

suzy Sep 12th, 2003 04:29 PM

Statia -
We e-mailed Gianna Galeota about her San Lorenzo apartments and she answered right away.
She confirmed that the nearby church bells start ringing "early in the morning." How early is early? 6, 7, or 8 A.M.? Do they go off once an hour, every 15 minutes or what?
I'm a very light sleeper so I'd appreciate hearing about the bells.
Thanks in advance.

Statia Sep 12th, 2003 05:34 PM

Suzy, we honestly never heard any church bells in the four days we spent in the Lepri apartment, although I had read trip reports that said we might in that area. Now, that might have something to do with being tired enough to have slept really well, or the fact that we're used to "some" noise since we live in the "downtown" area on an island of 2,000 inhabitants...ha.

But, in all honesty, we awoke anywhere from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. during our stay at San Lorenzo and never heard a sound. Gianna is wonderful to deal with and we were pleased with our apartment, as well as the price, location, service, etc. So, if you decide to book there, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Please report back on what you decide.